just curious, what do you think

Well, it's a 50/50 thing:

Parents have the right to set certain limits or requirements on their own kids.

On one hand, I'd expect the kids in question to rush that badge and will prpbably retain any and all knowledge just long enough to get the badge. Next week: "Huh? What's an emergency brake?"

But at the same time....somebody just might learn something ( while being at an event they like) that can actually come in handy.

I took 3 years of automechanics in high school. We did everything but turn the cam and crank and we sent the blocks off to get rebored. You could count all the wires and vacuum lines on one hand. Start one car, take the batery out and start another car - both still running without battery hooked up/. Condensers, points and rotor buttons ruled the day!

Now days...with all the computers and such...I'm lucky I can even change the oil anymore. Diagnosing a problem is a whole new game. Cars won't run without a computer now.

Taking a MB class on aoutomechanic won't tech them to rebiuld a motore, but any knowledge is better thn none at all.

The more I do this the more I realize there isn't a set answer to this.

Key: I think it's because it depends on the boy.

Hopefully, although not always, the parents know their child better than we do. I try not to worry about what methods the parents are using - they most likely won't listen to me about their parenting style anyway.

And frankly, SOME parents aren't self-aware enough to make a rational plan about managing their children in anyones interest other than their own.

So for some, a good thing; for others - the nail is in, they won't do it just for spite.