New Definition of "ACTIVE"

BA

So if you are saying you have 4 well-rounded Eagles in your local high school Class of 2010, how many did you have in your class of 1965? My experience is that there were many more well-rounded Eagles in the 60's. My homeroom alone had 3. I doubt the whole class of 2010 at my old high school has 2 by June. :(

I am not saying there are not great well-round Eagles today. I am saying in the 60's there were more of them.

Another $0.02

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yah, Source, I hear yeh that yeh don't like some of da decisions of the current Scoutmaster in your unit. That happens.

Generally speakin', though, the fellow who's doin' the work gets to make the judgment call. That's the way of things in a volunteer organization, and it's always been the way of things in the BSA.

I think when you're in such a position yeh really have two choices. Support the Scoutmaster, even though he's not perfect, even though he might be wrong, even though you'd make a different decision. Support him because it's the right thing to do, to support a fellow who is putting in that much time, and might know the lads the best. Support him because it's the right thing to do, to teach boys not to argue balls and strikes with the umpire. Support him because maybe, just maybe, you might not be perfect either.

Or go start another troop where you can be Scoutmaster. Then you can make the judgment call, and someone else will post complaints here about you! :)

Da BSA offers program materials and guidance, but the local organizations and volunteers run the program. It's their call, because they're the ones who are responsible, eh?

Beavah

Beavah, I know how it works, I have been active in scouts for 38 years starting as a cub. I have started packs and troops, ive been committee member and ASM and many other positions, but when BSA says one thing and the SM says well thats not how I am going to do it, is that really how you think it is supposed to be ? The SM really gets to make his own rules even if they directly contradict BSA RULES? Im not talking about judgment calls, im talking about rules in black and white.

I think one of da challenges for us old fellows with a lot of years in Scoutin' is to not let our egos get the best of us, eh? We have to let the young folks do their thing and make mistakes, just the way we did.

Being an old fellow in Scouting is a lot like being a grandpa. We contribute in a special way. But if we spend our time tellin' our kids what they're doing wrong while parenting, then we're just being an arse, eh? They'd be right to shut us out. Proper role for an old fellow in scoutin' is be around to soften rough edges here and there, and protect da young folks from bureaucratic foolishness because we're better at dealin' with that stuff. And just contribute stories and fun and ethic, eh? :)

With da time you have in, you need to be the scoutin' grandpa for the units yeh work with. You'll do nuthin' but harm if yeh start thinkin' of yourself as the old know-it-all whose job is to tell the SM everything he's doin' wrong.

Just from one old critter to another, eh? :)

Beavah