Merit badge pursuit

NealOnWheels found the better quote on this policy, which clearly establishes it's the Scout who should pick the buddy. It's the MBC's responsibility, if the Scout shows up without a buddy, to put the brakes on.

Policy aside, if I were an SM, I wouldn't refer my Scouts to an MBC who insisted that his -- wife, fishing buddy, brother, child, fill in the blank -- be the Scout's buddy. One of the CYA elements of youth protection is having a third party on hand who can attest that nothing untoward happened. To have that third party chosen by the MBC? Not exactly kosher in my book.

Scoutson wanted to do Farm Mechanics MB. In dealing with the cars and tractors on our "farmette", I knew he'd have no difficulty, but who and where is the MBC? Beat the District bushes, and could find no one. So I upped and made application to be the FM-MBC. Then, I put an item in our District newsletter: "Anyone wanting to do the Farm Mechanics Merit Badge, contact Mr. SSScout ..." Had 6 Scouts call, two from across the River (Hal?). Set up pre- requirements. We made appointment, met with parents and tools on our deck, visited the largest farm implement dealer in MD (owner very supportive when I called. Personally gave us the tour! Talked about then and now...). Second saturday, all came out and serviced our tractor, Went across the street and visited a BIG serious tractor and equipment, went back to deck and finished up official requirements. We'll do it again in the spring.

My only question is: How come the FM-MB book only mentions diesel power? (!) We saw gasoline powered equipment, and one boy spoke of his Canadian Gdads ELECTRIC powered tractor! (which he helped maintain).

And a good time was had by all.

My son wanted to earn his Home Repairs merit badge. My neighbor is a a contractor and quite a handyman, so I asked him if he would be he MBC. He filled out the paperwork and I turned it in. My son and I had done some around-the-house projects, but I insisted that he speak to his counselor. Over the weekend, he went over and knocked on the door and sat down on the front porch to talk about it. I went back to my workshop where I was working on a troop project. Though I was out of sight, they were in the open and I was within shouting distance. I poked my head out after about 15 minutes and I saw that my neighbor's son was hanging out with them as well.

I had no problem with this arrangement. It is the first time my son had reached out to work on a MB like that. He is only 11, and it was a real confidence builder. I think it will go a long way to inspiring him to take on other badges when he finishes this one.

BDPT00,

You are correct. The ACP&P and the MBC training state basically the same thing. I derived my statement from the MBC Quiz/answers: http://www.scouting.org/filestore/pdf/quiz-a.pdf

False. There must always be a third person present, but it may be any other adult familiar to the Scout, a Scouts parent, or a Scouts buddy. Common sense dictates that two adult counselors alone with only one Scout should be avoided.

That, along with the other statements that a Scout should "bring" his buddy with him causes me to tell prospective MBC to use YP and CYA by ensuring that the "buddy" is one chosen/provided by the Scout.

The BSA does not specifically state that the MBC can not provide the buddy but implies, numerous times, that it is the Scout's responsability. Unfortunately, with todays society, you must CYA all the time at all events. Even BSA events.

YiS,

Rick