Missing MBC + Blue Cards

This is a bit of a different twist on the old "lost blue card" stories. I have a scout that says that he finished 2 different merit badges with the same MBC, (took them during a time when the troop did merit badges during troop meetings), the whole class passed the badges, except this scout didn't get his. The MBC recently moved away, without leaving any forwarding address, taking with him any info about the badges.

I trust the Scout when he says that he completed them, as well as the others in the troop that took the badges with him.

What would you-all recommend?

Pete(This message has been edited by PeteM)

If you are a counselor for these badges I would due a cursory review of the requirements with the Scout and if he knows his stuff, I would sign off on the MB's. If you aren't I would try to find a MB counselor & explain what happened & see what the counselor is willing to do.(This message has been edited by evmori)

My guess is that the Scout did not complete a "do" or "explain" thht all the others did (or turn in a written portion"). Easy enough to figure out if the SCOUT can find a MBC and the SCOUT ask's for a "discussion" to complete the badge.

The MBC can either to decide to accept what they Scout describes he finished or the Scout can look elsewhere.

I am curious as to why this was not questioned at the time.

If all of the other Scouts turned in a signed MB card, why was this Scout not asked where his was? When all of the other Scouts received their badges, and he did not, why is it this Scout did not immediately ask the Troop Advancement Chair about it? Why did the Scout wait to question this?

I'm somewhere between Ed and dgadams - since the SM is, in theory, supposed to assigned a MBC to a scout, the SM has a role to play (an aside: in our council, all the MBC are online and the SM has almost nothing to do with the selection of an individual MBC). But it is up to the scout to follow through. In this case I can see where the SM might want to call the selected MBC and present the background.

May be a really good, relatively cheap life lesson for the scout in question (assuming, as you posted, Pete, that they all passed) - follow up and don't assume the adults got it right.

Vicki