Depends on your budget. Early I tried to personalize the gifts, but that became difficult to keep them comparable. So I started giving the pewter slide. But that was not particularly useful. Most had the embroidered necker and they don't work together. I was giving them the pewter belt buckle, but I've been told that the tang tends to break so I've switched to the enameled one ($16). Pens are nice, but better ones will run $25+ engraving. The one from Supply is a low end ball point ($13). Not enough youth wear ties any more so the tie tack is out. Same with cuff links. There are key rings for $6-$7 dollars.

My favorite gift for Eagle Scouts is a $25 gift certificate to www.kiva.org.

Kiva makes microeconomic loans to small entrepreneurs in 3rd world countries, each about $500- $1000. Each opportunity is listed and the Scout can select the entrepreneur that he wishes. When enough "loaners" allocate money to that entrepreneur, he or she gets their money. When the entrepreneur pays the money back, normally taking about 6-12 months, the Scout can either withdraw the money or else reloan it.

I am on my 3rd consecutive loan. The first two paid it back right on time.

It should be recognized that the Troop has already given time, talent and treasure to the Eagle scout as he earned his was from Scout to Eagle.

Our troop has had only 1 Eagle so far and with a very small amount of money we found it hard to fund gifts. We settled on the cake for the CoH.

The giftcard to kiva.org is a GREAT idea. It starts to teach how to give back, or "Pay it Forward".

I pick up small momentos from off of E-Bay. That way the boy knows he continues on with a piece of history that he now becomes part of and pass along to the next generation. My next Eagle gets a silver tie clasp with the Eagle on it. I have given knives, pins, etc. all of which appear to have been given originally to Eagle scouts. If nothing else, he has a gift then to give to his son when he makes his Eagle.

Stosh