OK, I am new to this and am in need of a little help. How do each of you go about a SM conference? Our SM is going to be gone for a little while longer and I a may have to fill in again. I need answers to a few questions and any advice that you can offer.

1. What needs to be covered at a SM conference?

2. Are there any questions that I should be asking?

3. Is there any reason that an ASM cannot do a SM conference if the SM is unavailable?

Thanks,

Kittle(This message has been edited by kittle)

The SM conference is really nothing more than a chat with a Scout about his experiences to date in the unit, what he likes/dislikes about Scouting, how things are going in his life, etc. Open-ended questions are the best way to get the conversation going.

Ed Mori

1 Peter 4:10

I agree with evmori in that a SM conference is a chat with a scout. To answer your specific questions:

1. There is really no set standard of what needs to be covered - it's not a "Scoutmaster's Reveiw". Use the conference to touch base with the scout. Find out what he thinks about scouting and the troop. Get to know the boy better - get him to talk about his family, school, church and other activities. Review the needed requirement(s) for his next rank and get him to set goals on what he needs to get there.

2. Ask the questions that will facilitate what needs to be covered in 1. above. Try to put the boy at ease and get him to open up to you. If the boy goes off in a certain direction - let him go. You may be one of the only adults in his life that takes time to really listen to what he has to say.

3. ASMs can conduct scoutmaster's conferences. A good Scoutmaster will encourage them to do so. Good ASMs make good SMs.

Also, see ScoutNut's very good link to BSA's web page on the subject.

AvidSM

Your answer to #3 makes me feal a little bit better about having done the conferences last night. Our SM is having to work 2nd shift temporarily and I am having to fill in. I didn't want the boys to have to wait longer for BOR. I am new to the position (3 months) and am still trying to find my niche. I am going to be with this Troop for up to the next 16 years (I have boys ranging from 14 to 2. As one ages out, I will have another joining.

I hope it will be awhile before I have to do another. I worry that my criteria isn't the same as others. I have known these boys since they crossed over and know how much they have grown. I don't know if the SM feels the same. I did learns something about each boy.

This is your opportunity to find out how the Scout is doing in Boy Scouts. Kinds of things I talk to boys about are:

1. What was there favorite activity so far? (so we can plan on doing it again!)

2. Do they have any problems with any of the other Scouts or Scoutmasters? (identifying any bullies!)

3. How do they think they are living by the Scout Oath and Law?

4. What does the new rank mean to them? (With 1st Class and up we can talk about how it is now expected that they TEACH younger scouts.

5. What is their plan for getting to the next rank? (have them right their goal date at the top of the page)

6. How will they handle someone asking them to do drugs?

Etc...

Take this valuable time to get to know your scouts. There likes and dislikes. What motivates them. Find out who they are.(This message has been edited by Herms)

... it is also a time to make sure that all requirements are done (ie. signed off) ... to dot the "i's" and cross the "t's" before the BOR ... Another question that I usually ask ... what is your leadership aspiration (ie. what position would you see yourself?). This will allow you and the SPL to help the scout to achieve his leadership goal(s).

This is your chance to prep the boy for his BOR you know what questions the committee wants the answers too and the scout may have done them to his eyes long ago. Ours is prone to ask what campout he was cook for his patrol on and what was the menu. Remember even though these are people he is acquainted with the scouts get nervous so if he has just refreshed on a question he feels more comfortable. Our committee likes to ask dumb stuff to my mind too like the exact day scouting was founded and founders full name. I told em they better not ask me that one I have no clue and won't remember if you tell me and then tell them about Einstein when he was asked for his phone number asked the questioner for a phone book so he could look it up asking why he should clutter his mind with such a useless piece of info that was so easy to find. The more hands doing conferences the lighter work we like to get more comm members too so they can do two BOR's at once.