issues with eagle candidate

anarchist,

There is always the option of CC and SM visiting COR and/or IH, and explaining why they do not want to re-charter a Scouter.

She can be told "Thank you for your service," and given a non-youth-contact position... or she can be told she will not be rechartered.

Returning to the original conversation:

The best way to cut this particular pie is to make sure the SM understands the POR system when he takes over, and works with his ASMs, SPLs, and the right committee members, over time, to make it happen. The Scribe, for just one example, collects attendance, mileage, service hour (whatever) info for meetings and campouts and forwards it to the membership/advancement person on the Committee. Committee person contacts SM and says "What a great job Jim is doing." SM gives feedback to the kid.

OTOH, Committee person calls SM and asks "where's my info?" SM investigates, finds Jim the Scribe has it, but has no way to get it to the Committee person. Bottleneck resolved, kid has been doing his job.

Still another, same as above, but kids hasn't been doing the work. Time for some coaching about expectations, and some SMkid goal-setting.

The system can work, if we all do out parts.

BUT!, IMO, if we adults don't do our part, don't counsel, don't mentor, don't set and give feedback on expectations, well, then we are approaching giving the Scouts social promotions.

My thoughts.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did not read all of the postings but I can only tell you what I did in a similar situation. I had a boy who had missed almost a year of meetings due to school. In my council the scoutmaster selects the adults for the BOR with only one rep from council. I chose four Eagles for the review. When I presented the candidate for the board I did not recommend him for the rank. It was the board who questioned him and passed the scout.

The other thing is what was his "eagle Project" and how did he do with it? You as scoutmaster also do not have to sign his eagle application and you can ask the CC not to sign it also. To the best of my understanding the rumor is only that. If you ask him he can be refused the rank because he does not fulfill trustworthy if he lies to you. Tough to prove however.

good luck scoutmaster smartstick

Smartstick,

Welcome to the Forums.

Here are the points where the Scoutmaster has an approval/disapproval in the process:

Eagle Leadership Service Project Workbook:

- Approval of project concept before it goes to District/Council Advancement Committee for approval to begin. "Project plans were reviewed and approved by." (p9)

- Certification "This project was planned, developed, and carried out by the candidate." (p13)

Eagle Scout Application:

- Unit approval, see ACP&P for your actions should you elect to "not recommend."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The supported agency has two signatures on the ELSP, and none on the Eagle Scout Application (though the candidate may list someone as a reference):

- Before "Project plans were reviewed and approved by." (p9)

- After "This project was planned, developed, and carried out by the candidate." (same as SM, p13)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The Committee Chair has no signature on the ELSP. Any Member of the Committee may sign off. See p9 of the workbook, the sig line is clear "Unit Committee Member."

He does have a signature on the Eagle app, below the Scoutmasters:

Unit approval (personal signature required).

You can consult the SM Handbook or ACP&P about procedures if the unit is unwilling to recommend a candidate for Eagle.

There's a wizened old Scouter who sits EBORs in my District (we also do unit EBORs with District Guest representative). Before the young man is introduced, he asks the Board and the Scoutmaster "Will this Board conclude today with this young man earning Eagle, or not? Answer me honestly."

I am told if the answer is "no Eagle," he tells the unit Scouters: "This is what I must tell the young man then: I will inform him of his or his parents rights to appeal. I will offer to assist him in drafting the appeal. The District Committee will check out the information he presents about your Chartered Organization, your Committee, and you Mr. Scoutmaster. If the appeal is substantiated, you and he will be informed that his advancement has been withdrawn from the unit, that he will have a new Scoutmaster Conference, and that the District will convene an independent Eagle Board of Review. Do you understand this?"

All of that is in line with ACP&P as I read it.

BOTTOM LINE: We Scouters have the responsibility to train, mentor, and evaluate young men serving their PORs. Shame on us, and we deserve what we get, if a young man gets to POR signoff by just "wearing the patch." We can shortstop that! It takes moral courage and genuine work on our part to coach the Scout to improve, and to encourage him to reject the quality of his own work before "tenure day."