What would you think of an Eagle never getting a COH?

Scoutldr,

It's time to mail that Eagle medal to the Eagle Scout you've not heard from in a while. It was earned by him and it belongs to him. Just pop it in a box and mail it off, or hand deliver to his home. There is really no reason why the unit should be holding on to it.

Calico

Why in the name of diversity would we have the Troop run a Court of Honor for all of them?

Yah, OGE has discovered I'm really not such a freewheelin' libertarian after all. :)

I've seen the parent-run ECOH's get out of hand in a number of ways over the years. Bizarre stuff at the event sometimes, some kids excluded from invitations at others. What I think is roughest is when wealthier families or families more "into" Scouting throw the full wedding-reception event, and the less well-off lads or lads whose parents aren't as supportive of their Scouting life get the short end. I've known kids who never had an ECOH for that reason, eh? They said they didn't want it, but really they didn't want to be embarrassed.

So make my vote for Uniform Method, which is bigger than what we make kids wear. It should be about how we treat kids and recognize kids for their achievements uniformly. That doesn't mean a lad and his family can't have input, invite Grandpa Jones, choose music or whatnot. An ECOH can be personalized, within reason. But like any other award ceremony in the world, it should be hosted by the organization, with da awardees and their families as guests of honor.

IMHO. But I know I'll never convince da wedding reception crowd. :p

Beavah

Gee Beavah, I am not sure I could ever face the proud parents of a newly minted Eagle scout and tell them that they need to rein in their plans for the Eagle Court of Honor because it may make other scouts feel "bad".

I think it best for Troops to follow or establish whatever tradition they want

Of course, my sons Eagle Court of Honor was a blow-out, with his Epispadias and surgical operations and dyslexia and ADHD I wasnt sure if he was going to make it and he did. It was a Challenege ceremony executed so well that the first speaker was nearly tackled by an ASM who never seen the ceremony before.

"But like any other award ceremony in the world, it should be hosted by the organization, with da awardees and their families as guests of honor."

Oh how I wish that were so. We're in the middle of planning our son's ECOH. I would have been happy to have the unit plan and execute it as a simple affair after a standard COH. Hand out a medal, shake some hands and have a piece of cake. But as Steve Martin would say...Nooooooo. SWMBO who has not had all that much to do with my son's scouting career other than to be a supportive mom that doesn't like to camp now sees something that she can do ! ( and is better at than I would be or the troop leader ship is.)! Hopefully my bank account and marriage survive.

SA

Gee Beavah, I am not sure I could ever face the proud parents of a newly minted Eagle scout and tell them that they need to rein in their plans for the Eagle Court of Honor because it may make other scouts feel "bad".

Yah, each to his own, eh? But that's not really what I was talkin' about. I was suggestin' they shouldn't be makin' plans for the Eagle Court of Honor in the first place.

From what I've seen, da proud parents of a high school graduate don't seem to mind the high school presenting the award without a lot of input from them. The proud parents of a varsity letter winner or team MVP that I know don't object to the fact that the award is presented at the school's Athletic Banquet. The proud parents of the karate blackbelt dutifully show up at the ceremony run by the dojo.

Same goes for adult awards, right up to the Oscars, or the Nobel Prize. Awardees go to the ceremony of the body giving the award, as a guest of honor.

I think what's happened is most troops have just gotten lazy. "Let the parents do it." Rather than seein' it as a vital part of their unit program that they would never pass on to anyone else. The lads should be honoring one of their own, at their Court of Honor. And we should be honoring the parents as our guests for their years of service to the young man.

Not expectin' 'em to throw us a party.

In all my years I've never seen an Eagle not show up for a Court of Honor that was truly run by his friends in his troop. And I've never seen units that care about their kids forget/skip/not hold a Court of Honor.

Beavah

(This message has been edited by Beavah)

In our troop, at least my experience over the past 30 years, we counsel the family that the award presentation is their choice, but that the troop should be part of the ceremony, and should make every effort to include all the scouts. While there have been a few big todo's, most have been relatively traditional, drawing from bits and pieces of program publications and ECOH's the family has attended. The ones I have like the most are the ones that include the "Trail" and use scouts from the unit to represent each of those levels, and also use younger scouts to light candles representing Oath and Law.

That being said, we had one boy who made it a point to have his as an extension of the regular troop COH. He told me he felt it was more representative of his experience. One scout, as happens, had his at Christmas break of his sophomore year of college. And another simply did not have one, and his mother said that he would get it if he chose to, but she would not take it. A year or so later, early in the summer, he showed up in his "hippy-esque" attire and asked if he could have his award packet. I got it out, and he then gave me a bunch of miscellaneous items he felt I might give to other scouts, and returned a couple of troop items he had borrowed at one time. We have had a few multiple presentations where families of Eagles who went through together chose to join forces. Our last one was a set of twins.

Every one of the young people have different perspectives. The ones who are most confident, seem to be the ones who choose the simplest presentations. Some, only have done the bigger event to satisfy their parents; but they seem to all to have been proud of their accomplishment in their own way.

We old people, of course, remember when fancy ECOH were pretty much unheard of. Mine was the second half of a troop COH, and was followed by a Palm presentation. The only thing different was that the presenter was the Marine Corp Commandant from the local base, and the town council was represented. When I first entered scouts, we had town courts of honor with all the units participating. They went up the ranks after merit badges and special awards, if any, then took a break, returning for Eagle and beyond if there were any.

Ultimately, it is only important that the honor is offered, and that the young man's preference is considered.

JMHO

Our troop has a standard script for the ceremony. The Eagle and his family plug in the names of the folks they want to present certain portions of the ceremony. They do not have to follow the ceremony, they don't have to have a ceremony, we can just present it at a regular CoH.

I have one boy, he'll be 20 soon enough, who hasn't had a Court of Honor. Both of his parents were ill (still are) and he needed help. I got a group of folks together to make it happen. 3 weeks before his ceremony he called and cancelled it due to his parents health. He never rescheduled, even after numerous requests to get it done (from me)

He had his patch awarded to him about 1 year after he earned it, he finally came to the house and picked up all of his items. Letters, medals, certificates, flags. Very sad I think, my Eagle CoH was a very memorable experience for me, I wanted him to have the same.

I know of other kids who have been very deserving of a great ceremony who have'nt had one.

Also our troop pays for the Eagle kit (patch, pins, medal), embroidered Eagle Neckerchief, Campaign Hat (they really love this hat) and the perpetual plaque for the CO, and a special wooden Eagle with and engraved plate with thier name and BoR date for the Scout House. The family picks up the cost of the ceremony. We encourage punch and cookies/cake. They usually turn into sit down luncheons or dinners.

It is interesting, all the POVs.

It's funny in a way because I originally offered to help the parent and the Scout set something up for the ECOH. Back then it was an exciting prospect to the Scout and parent, but the parent said they wanted to plan it themselves so they could get a good date where they could invite family and what not - something convenient for the family, a central location, etc. I completely understood.

So I instead offered to solicit letters of recognition, the parent was thrilled, had never heard of such a thing, etc., etc. and was happy I was willing to do that. I did so, and I am the one that has collected all the things and have prepared a notebook for the boy. I mentioned to the parent at least a half dozen times in the last year that I had SOME of the letters, but there was a few local organizations that wanted to present their recognitions in person, AT the ECOH and were just waiting for a time and place. (I thought that might help push the envelope a little - no dice).

It's been so long now I am beginning to believe it's just not important to either the parent or the Scout anymore. Should I just give the Scout his notebook of letters of regognition at the next Troop meeting or wait and wait and wait for the parent to pull it together? I hate to feel like I am pushing or pressuring the parent into planning an ECOH when yeah, they don't have to have one if they don't want to. At the same time I am tired of feeling like I am hanging on to all these DATED letters of recognition like ransom til they do plan a COH for the boy.

Yah, dat's what I was talkin' about, eh? ;)

Joni, why don't yeh get with the SM and the SPL and put together an ECOH for the boy? Call the parents, set up an agreeable date (or attach it to the end of a troop COH), and let 'em know the troop will be presenting him with the award. Put out your letters, choose one of da many ceremonies, and let the boys honor one of their own.

Doesn't have to be a wedding reception. Just has to say "we care about you, and honor your achievement."

Beavah