Can a Scout be registered in a Troop in his hometown and go to a Troop in the next town and work on rank advancement? Also this Scout will go to a District Camporee with his hometown Troop and stay with the other troop. An Adult Leader in the other Troop is related to the Scout. Any advise?

The decision of who can sign off on rank advancement is left up to the individual scoutmaster. However, as long as their is no question as to if the scout met the requirements, I see no problems. I also don't know if stuff he does their would count for something like 1st class #3 ("Since joining, have participated in 10 separate troop/patrol activities)

What's the backstory here? Are we talking about a youth in an intact family, a youth who splits time with parents due to divorce, ... ???

Some of what we have to say will depend on the circumstances.

Since there is a relation, I'd recommend the two Scoutmasters go to a local cafe, have a cup of coffee, and figure out what is in the best interests of the young man in question!

We had one a few years ago- bouncing between mom in Virgina and dad in Wisconsin. We just made it a point that it was up to him to keep us updated on his advancement.

On this specific issue, dual troop registration may not be the core problem.

Ed

Yah, hello donomiser!

I'm with J-in-KC, I think yeh gotta let us know what the backstory or concern might be.

Technically, the SM of the troop he's registered in gets to decide who can "sign off" on rank requirements, and that same SM gets to approve MB applications. So it'd be OK for his hometown troop not to let a troop where he's only a "guest" sign off on requirements. That'd be pretty unusual, though. It happens pretty frequently that a boy can be a guest of another troop at a camp or camporee, where his SM is just fine with acceptin' signoffs from the other adult leaders of da troop where he was a guest. A boy attending summer camp with another troop, or as a provisional scout, would typically be an example. So would a boy who splits time between mom and dad.

A boy can also be dual registered in two troops (like for a split family). In that case, either SM can approve advancement.

So yeh pretty much just work out what makes sense for the boy. If he's scammin' advancement from his relative in the other troop, his registered SM can say "no." But if he's workin' hard and has friends in both units, that's great, eh?

Your case of the boy comin' to a camporee with one troop and then stayin' with another seems kinda awkward, unless it was worked out in advance. At least, it should be clear to everybody which adults are responsible for the lad, and which troop's duty roster he should show up on ;). On the other hand, visitin' with other troops is part of the reason we do camporees, eh?

Scout's family is intact. Father is CM in the home pack and is on TC in home troop. Uncle or cousin or close friend of father is in other troop. Other troop is very active, adult run and has a history of high adventure. Home troop is mostly boy led, may not be as desirable as other troop. Original cub scout den members friends are in home troop. New scouts think it is unfair because they don't have the opportunity like him. What do you say to the SM?

Given what you've told us,

Scoutmaster should have SM Conference with Scout. Something is driving the boy to distance from the current Troop. SM needs to know that, it's called Feedback and it is a gift.

I know I need to give space to my own Eagle son to spread his own wings, and we have a pretty healthy relationship. There may be Dad/son tensions.

donomiser,

First item, I'd say that's just fine. Scouting is scouting no matter what city you're in. He can get things signed off at other place, but remember at your sm confrence you can see if he actually learned anything without retesting...

Second item, I'd have to say to him "stay with your patrol" and get him to visit his relative instead of stay with him. The patrol method relies on the team model and sleeping together, eating together and competing together is all part of that model and method.

Good luck

• 1 month later...