scout skill MBs and troop program

I'll go back to my Camping MB pamphlet (1969-70 edition as I recall). I seem to remember having to do a service project. Of course, I also remember doing a project for Forestry, and that was the same year, so I may be confuddled.

Teaching the kids to care for the land is a good thing. Too little open land as is...

More service is better than none we always offer the boys and even adult skills to rangers at almost every camp. An hour service project does then no harm and has the potential for good and is a payback to the camp or park in addition to the usually minimal camping fee. We even did a project for the Boy Scout reservation it was an adult project and involved removing and resetting with new wax rings the toilets in the latrine rerouting some plumbing and regrouting the toilets.

We are probably going to start offering a merit badge time once per month as an alternate to skills time for the older scouts who are not teaching the younger ones. Hopefully some of the boys will follow through on the partials they got at summer camp with the in house counselors. The skills time seems to degenerate into a bull session or goofing off session for the first class and above who are not instructing.