My dear son has lost his scout book. He is at tenderfoot rank with most of his second class and some of his first class requirements signed off, where ever the book has gone. Our original agreement when he started boy scouting was that I would supply him with the basic items but that he needed to purchase replacements for anything he lost or ruined due to mistreatment (ie, equipment). So he isn't getting a new book until he scrounges a few bucks together, since he spent all of his cash over the holidays. (Hmm, looks like he'll be doing some extra work around the house for a bit. I think I need some windows washed...the floors mopped....what else?....)

In the meantime there's a Court of Honor coming up and he really was hoping to make 2nd class before then. So my question: does he have to have his book in order to do so? The advancement chair has a record of most of his sign offs in troopmaster.

Lisabob, my older son lost his handbook when he was getting ready for 1st class. Fortunately, his troop did have troopmaster and had recorded all entries from his handbook. He bought a new handbook and had the Advancement Chair record what he had done.

But, this only happened because that troop had a policy that nothing was recorded in Troopmaster if it was not signed off already in the Scout handbook. I liked that. It made the Scouts more responsble for their advancement.

Our troop has had a history of putting things in Troopmaster, but not having it recorded in the handbook. This led to Scouts never bringing their handbooks (except for SM Conf and BOR at which time most things were dated and signed) and actually not really knowing when and what they did.

Oh, as a note, older son's "lost" handbook did finally show up - when he was getting ready for his BOR for Life! Now it's a dog-eared, treasured keepsake.

Lisa,

Greetings!

You're son is not alone.

Many Scouts lose their handbooks. (Although, not a Boy Scout handbook, I too have often lost keys, wallets, money, my marbles, etc)

It is difficult for a youth to remember his handbook at all meetings, plus uniform, plus homework, plus school, plus chores. A handbook could easily be overlooked or forgotten.

This is what I "preach" in my units.

I always recommend to my troop parents to purchase a second school backpack. Maybe even brightly colored. I ask them not to use the same school backpack they take to school, because they are constantly lugging around math and science curriculum books already. They are already way too heavy for an 11 y/o. Go out to the department store and purchase another 10-20 dollar backpack.

Within this small backpack, the can carry their handbook, Troop meeting plans, menu planning, Patrol Leaders record book, Song book, skits, Patrol Leaders handbook, Order of the Arrow handbook, Troop Record book (for the Troop Scribe), Den Chief Handbook, merit badge pamphlets, and notebook paper.

It is easy to lose a handbook, but it is a little more difficult to lose a backpack.

While, I'm on my soapbox.....

Camping backpacks sometimes take even longer for young Scouts to obtain. Some parents don't understand why their boy needs a camping backpack. They show up for a 5 mile hike with their school backpack and they strap trash bags of clothes and trash bags of pillows and a trash bag of their oversized Spiderman sleeping bags. I love Spiderman, but Gee-whiz parents! At least invest in a cheap camping backpack.

So I preach to the boys, "At Christmas and your birthdays, ask Mom, Dad and Santa for camping gear, back packs, and tents!! Who really needs XBOX 360, IPODs or Playstation?"

The meeting room usually goes silent after that, like Crew21 Adv dropped a curse word.

Scouting Forever and Venture On!

Crew21 Adv

L'Bob,

Depending on how long you thing it may take him to save up for a new book, I will disagree with the others. Heep your agreement with him. If he can save the money within a month or so, then that's what he should do. The lesson will be much more meaningful if he gives his hard earned green to the fellow at the scoutshop rather than giving it (back) to his mom.

Of course, this may mean that he is delayed earning his 2nd Class if your troop committee requires him to have a book (there is no such BSA requirement). I would hope not, especially since your troop maintains Troopmaster records.

(Gazing off into the past...) Reminds me of the time my Tenderfoot son left his book outside his tent on his 3rd campout. Of course it rained. We were at a State Park and I found him the next morning in the latrine, trying to dry his book under the hot air blower. It eventually dried completely but it puffed up like a piece of popcorn. He removed the pages with advancements signed off and taped them into his new book. With a cover.

T'bob

Lisa,

Agree with Trevorum. Make him scrape up the funds for the book. In the meantime, have him get a TM dump and have him ask the SM if that's a worthy substitute until he can afford the new book.

BTW, there's nothing in this universe which says a Scout must have his signoffs only in his Scout handbook that I know of? Anyone seen that in Advancement Policies and Practices??? Is a rule "it must be signed off IN THE HANDBOOK" adding to requirements???

Now, should his book wear out from Fair Wear and Tear (as my sons' did), that's a different story.

RANT: Why does National use cheap printing and binding methods for the Boy Scout Handbook? Mine is almost 40 years old and in pretty good shape, all things considered. My almost 18 year old has gone through 3 in his seven years in Boy Scouts...

Trevorum and John-in-KC, you guys are right that having the Scout purchase his own replacement handbook may teach him some responsibility and other lessons, I don't believe a Scout should show up at a meeting without one. John, maybe we took better care of our books then. We live in a disposable world these days but back then I was taught to take care of what I had. Just traded in my 10 year old car and it broke my heart. I would've kept it forever but just no longer feasible.$$$$$! But I have a 1950 BSA handbook, 68 SM h.b., my 85 BS h.b., plus 77 Fieldbook. All well read and slightly worn, but otherwise in great, useable shape. Perhaps you too were taught to appreciate what you have and money doesn't grow on trees (evidenced by those $200 boots from that thread)!