MBs (not) earned at camp

This summer my son's troop went to a summer camp in a nearby council and, for the most part, they had a good time. I was really happy to see that. And before anybody jumps on what I've written below, yes I agree that MBs are not the main point of summer camp and I really don't care how many my son - or any other boys - came back with.

However, there were some problems with MBs that many of you more seasoned leaders will probably be familiar with. Namely, boys got credit for things they didn't do. In some cases it was minor but in others it was blatant - boys getting signed, completed blue cards for MBs they never even took and there's simply no way they could've earned, for example (and these were for Eagle-required MBs, to boot). To say the least, I wasn't thrilled.

My own son - and here's where I will appreciate your input because the "mom" in me is coming out - "earned" 5 MBs and a partial on a 6th. I know for a fact that he didn't actually do all of the requirements for at least 3 of the "completed" ones, and that he didn't do one of the things that did get signed off, for the partial. He was shocked to receive a completion for archery because he never made an arrow. For fishing, they only actually fished on one day for 1/2 an hour; he didn't cook a fish (he caught one - not two - and released it) and he hasn't got any idea about the knots mentioned. For fish & wildlife management I can't see how he could've done requirements 5 & 6 and he has no recollection. And so on.

He and I have a difference of opinion over how to approach this. We've had that chat about how you are cheating yourself if you accept recognition for things you haven't earned. He agreed he would look up one of the dads in the troop who is also an archery MBC and learn how to make arrows with him, so he'll actually finish the requirements for that one, at least. And he actually did do the requirements that had already been signed off for the partial, after camp on his own - though not for a MBC. But the other MBs, he wants to just let it slide because there's so much and he isn't even really sure which requirements he truly did and which ones were fudged at this point. I think it is overwhelming. Also he's a kid and the temptation to take the easy road is there.

So I'm left wondering how best to approach this. On one hand, he had a good week at camp and that's really important in its own right. Also I don't want him to feel as though he's having to do "extra" work that the other boys aren't doing (although I'm certain that if there were that many questions about my son's MBs, there are just as many about the other boys' too). And I know, understand, and agree, that if he has been told he earned it, it cannot be withheld, if he wants to accept it.

On the other hand, what kind of lesson do you learn from getting, not earning, a bunch of awards? And also these were all subjects that he generally enjoys and would probably love, if he were to work with someone really knowledgable to actually finish them - if he could get past the notion that Mom here is "making" him do it.

Do I encourage him? Or leave it be? Do I have this conversation w/ the SM, who most likely won't pursue it anyway because that would mean the whole troop's MBs from camp are suspect?

By the way I'm a member of the troop committee, fully trained, and a MBC myself. I helped the boys choose their MBs for camp this summer and will be doing the same again next summer. I'm trying to look at this from not just a parent's perspective but rather, a troop perspective, but you all know that's harder when it is your own kid.

And what am I supposed to recommend next summer - don't bother earning any MBs at camp because they're likely to be bogus??? Grr.

Lisa'bob

Lisabob, I know your sentiments exactly.

First Aid merit badge is always taught at our summer camp. This year, 3 of our scouts took the badge, my son included. Over the years I've known the counselors for this badge and have always heard good reports from the scouts about the sessions and felt they earned it.

Not this year. All 3 scouts reported at the end of the week that the class was boring, they didn't do anything, and really didn't learn much. No hands on experience, just sit and listen.

But, they all received a signed, completed merit badge form (our camp does not use blue cards).

So, as the SM, I asked them if they felt they really earned the badge. They all admitted that, no, they had not really earned it. I mentioned to them that because it was signed off, I could not take it away. But, I also asked them how they felt about that. Like most 12-13 year olds, they were conflicted about it. Didn't want to have to do the badge over again, but readily admitted that they didn't learn anything.

So, their solution: plan for an opportunity some time in the next year, either during troop meetings or on a campout, to go over first aid. After all, they agreed, everyone in the troop should know first aid.

Summer camps, at least in this area, are very competitive. I would write a letter to the SE and Camp Director of the camp in question, explaining what you have told us. Also explain, that in good conscience, your troop cannot continue to accept merit badges that are not properly earned and you will be looking elsewhere for your summer camp experience. It's likely that the Camp Director has no idea that there is no quality to his program.

Our troop traveled out of council to a camp this summer. My son took E-sci. He returned with only one requirement needing to be completed, #4, make a eco-system in a bottle. Went to the website and that requirement has been deleted in the new 2006 requirements. So the camp taught the badge on expired requirements. We told our son to find a local E-sci MBC and go over the new requirements and see what transfered and what he needed to finish.

If you know for a fact they didn't complete certain requirements then the sign-off for completion isn't valid. I would have them fill out new cards, mark the parts they did complete & then rip up the old cards & consider them partials. I would also get in touch with the program director at camp & explain your concerns.

Ed Mori

Troop 1

1 Peter 4:10

This is an issue that has been very vexing for this unit in the past. I have given up trying to make the council aware of the problem or trying to communicate to them some reasonable solutions. I sincerely believe they do not care.

The way we apply this, once the card (sheet) is signed as complete by an approved counselor, it is a done deal. However, where I know for a fact that the boy has not actually met the requirements, I have a casual conversation with him about everything he has learned, including the importance of honestly meeting requirements. Every boy who has ever had this conversation has agreed that they were actually cheated out of the experience they wanted and needed. And most of them have worked, badge on sash, to complete the requirements after the fact. None of this is required, they do it because they choose to, because they know it is the right thing to do. And I am proud of them.

I do wish that the camp would not make this a problem.

This is an issue that has been very vexing for this unit in the past. I have given up trying to make the council aware of the problem or trying to communicate to them some reasonable solutions. I sincerely believe they do not care. I agree with this except the giving up part.

If we give up, they win. Lets all try to fight this together, please, for the sake of the boys!

See Be Prepared...for life and the future? for more on this.

FireKat, I appreciate what I think your intent is regarding giving up. For me it is a matter of economy of time. I have a certain amount of time to invest in this unit. After beating my head against the council wall for what seems to be a huge number of hours, I have decided that my time investment will produce a better return if it is invested in the unit itself. So far, I think the results indicate this wsa a good decision.

Da way most good troops handle this, Lisa'bob, is

1) Restricting MB's that can be earned at camp. Lots of troops, for example, will make First Aid and the Citizenships "not at summer camp."

2) Have conversations with the kids in the way you have done, and then helped the kids to really complete the badges after camp. Kids have a strong sense of justice/fairness, eh? And this "hard work to do it right" choice is one we should be reinforcing.

3) Give active feedback to the camp. Yah, many of them won't listen, because they get as much feedback from the MB Mill troops when badges aren't completed, but at least you'll add some weight to the other side, eh?

I agree completely with Beavah. We use all three approaches.

One year at camp they totally reorganized Indian Lore after the first two days.

One year a bunch of guys got signed off on Mammal Study, when they didn't do several requirements. We try to catch these and turn them into partials. But I make the boys make the decision. This reinforces the principles we are trying to teach them.

One approach that I use is, on Friday at camp I ask each boy which Merit Badges he thinks he completed. On Saturday morning we get the blue cards. We go through and check each of these for discrepencies. This has helped bring gaps to the surface.