Bugle Merit Badge in BSA

The requirements for Bugling MB states that "A bugle, trumpet, or cornet may be used to meet these requirements." I think it is more likely that a scout will have a trumpet or (less likely) a cornet rather than a bugle. Bugles just aren't used in school bands, so they're not so readily available.

I think the intent is to be able to use "modern" instruments that are similar in tone and pitch range to a bugle. Certainly either the trumpet or cornet can play the bugle calls without having to use any of the valves, which in my opinion, makes them valid stand-ins for the bugle.

How many people have even heard of a flugelhorn? For those who haven't, here's one description: "Instrument scholar Anthony Baines describes it as a valve bugle which is related to both the key bugle (a precursor of the bass saxophone, which was replaced by the tuba in orchestras) and the signal horn (a bugle used as a signal in battle)." In case anyone is interested, here's a link for those who want to learn more: http://www.music.vt.edu/musicdictionary/textf/Flugelhorn.html

The basic difference is that a flugelhorn has a mellower tone than the other instruments. Playing technique is similar. I would have no problem accepting a flugelhorn as a valid instrument. (Aside: I wonder if a rather "esoteric" instrument was even considered when the requirements were last written?)

Perhaps an enterprising young musician could borrow one of the "official three" instruments for counseling purposes? If a scout played a lower brass instrument (horn, tuba, trombone, etc.), I don't think that would be appropriate. Others may disagree with me.

This is my own opinion and has really no bearing on anything, but I don't think the timbre of the fluglehorn is appropriate for bugle calls. Bugles have a nice sharp sound while fluglehorns are much too mellow. It would be like playing the bugle calls on a french horn. The notes are right, but the sound it wrong.

But I thought a fluglehorn was simply a bugle with valves. I would prefer a cornet for my son (more practical and easier to learn) but I don't want him to make bugle calls that sound like calling to horses to the gate like a trumpet tends to sound.

I think you need to stick to what the requirements say. If it says bugle, trumpet, or cornet, then that's what counts.

By the way, the troop my son is in has "always" had a bugler, who generally plays trumpet. We also have a couple of professional horn player dads in the group, which has certainly helped the bugler to work on his calls and to stay motivated. For a while my son (trombone player) wanted to switch to trumpet specifically so he could be the next bugler!

Lisa'bob

Actually, a flugelhorn sounds more like a cornet than it does a trumpet. Even though the bugle has a brighter, "nice sharp" sound, a cornet is specifically acceptable for this MB. Whether or not a flugelhorn is too mellow is largely a subjective matter. The practical side of tone quality is that a brighter one will carry farther at a given volume than will a mellower tone.

Since the flugelhorn is so closely related to the "approved" instruments, I feel that this is really a minor matter of interpretation. My job as a MB counselor is not to be a purist about bugling, but rather to help the boy gain an understanding of the instrument, technique, and possibly a desire to pursue it farther - at which point he may very well decide to invest in a real bugle.

A Scout is Thrifty. That means, in part, that he doesn't run out and spend a bunch of money ($100 and up) for an instrument just so he can do a merit badge.

By way of comparison, Requirement 1 of Music MB states: "Sing or play a simple song or hymn chosen by your counselor using good technique, phrasing, tone, rhythm, and dynamics. Read all the signs and terms of the score." Requirement 3d (a choice) refers to being part of a school band. Music MB badge does not state what instrument to use.

I am a strong proponent of keyboard instruments (piano and organ), although I also play other instruments (winds and low brass). In my opinion Music MB is best done using a keyboard instrument; however, not every scout has a piano at home; therefore, I must adapt to whatever instrument the student has and can play, within reason (operative word). Maybe it's a saxophone, or a cello, or a bassoon. No, a drum set or slide whistle won't do.

Bugling is one MB where I believe the counselor needs to apply his or her best judgment in allowing some variation in the instrument used. And I don't think that this is "changing" the requirements - the scout still has to do all of the requirements. Note, too, that the instrument list is shown as an explanatory "note" - an afterthought - not one of the base requirements; therefore, I see it more as an advisory element than a requirement.

Let the batons fly!

I learned to play the organ while in Scouts. If I press down the "trumpet" button and play bugle calls, does that count?

Flugelhorn vs cornet? This just goes to show we can take ANY topic and debate it until the cows come home!

I love this scouting stuff!

(thanks to Barry!)

The "trumpet" button on an organ? Thanks for the chuckle. No one has asked to do that yet, and I pity the first one who does (HA!). Actually, that wouldn't qualify for Requirement 1 "...demonstrate how the bugle makes sound..." or Requirement 6 "Serve as bugler in your troop for three months". Good luck backpacking your organ!

Yeah, we can debate this forever: the letter of the law versus the spirit of the law. If we don't have room for the spirit part, then we don't need counselors with expertise - just exam proctors.

Toot on.

Lest it be misunderstood, what I meant was that no, I don't think there's even a question about a low brass player doing the bugling mb on, say, a trombone. Oldsm mentioned that and gave the opinion that s/he didn't think it would be appropriate. I meant, no question (IMO), it wouldn't be. As for flugelhorns vs. bugles, I really don't know enough about a flugelhorn to say. If it is just a minor variation on one of the approved instruments, that's not such a biggie I guess.

As I stated in an earlier post, "whether or not a flugelhorn is too mellow is largely a subjective matter." In my opinion a flugelhorn is at the edge of "acceptable". I would draw the line here, though, and NOT accept lower brass instruments.

You say poTAYto, I say poTAHto...

According to the dictionary definition below, a flugelhorn IS a bugle. What's more, it got its name from its use in battle to summon the flanks, or flugel. So it seems to me that a MBC for Bugling wouldn't be wrong for accepting it, and at least arguably would be wrong for not accepting it. Also (to be even more pedantic), bugles come in all sizes from soprano down to bass (used in drum and bugle corps)--certainly the low bugles wouldn't really be appropriate for single bugle calls, but would it be adding to requirement to insist that a boy use a regular bugle if he showed up with a bass bugle? I don't know.

flugelhorn or fluegelhorn ( P ) Pronunciation Key (flgl-hrn) or flgelhorn (fl-)

n.

A bugle with valves, similar to the cornet but having a wider bore.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[German Flgelhorn : Flgel, flank (from its use to summon flanks during a battle) (from Middle High German vlgel, wing, flank. See pleu- in Indo-European Roots) + Horn, horn (from Middle High German, from Old High German. See ker-1 in Indo-European Roots).]

I love this sort of thread! In the middle of all the Issues/Politics/Uniform Police, harrumph-type stuff, a civil discourse on the merits of bugles vs. flugelhorns vs. cornets!

Absolutely wonderful!

Vicki (I mean it, no sarcasm, etc., meant nor implied)

I guess this raises another question. Cornets and trumpets are typically in the key of Bb, but bugle calls are given in the key of C natural. Does BSA print a version of the bugle calls in Bb?

Good point about B-flat vs C.

As far as I know, BSA does not print bugle calls in B-flat. This should not be (B?) a show-stopper. Most listeners will have no idea what key a call is played in unless they have perfect pitch (most people don't).

One alternative is to transpose the calls. Maybe the MB Counselor could do this as a service to the scout. Or maybe a scout would like to try his hand at transposing (no, don't add it as a requirement!).

The easiest way is just to let him play the calls at whatever "natural" pitch his instrument has. We're only talking a 1/2 step difference. The important thing is that he play them "open keyed" (without pressing any valves), letting the embouchure and natural overtones do the work.

Of course, the MB book does not say whether the (approved) trumpet has to be a C trumpet or they typical B-flat trumpet.

Tune 'em up!