Swimming Rank Requirements

After church this morning, an Advancement Chair from another Troop as me an interesting question. It seems there is a Scout in his Troop who has a spastic leg disorder and can't swim because of this. He has already talked to our District & Council Advancement Chairs & has gotten permission for the Scout to do an alternative for the swimming requirements for 2nd & 1st Class ranks. However, both chairs want to know what will be substituted for the swimming requirements. The question posed to me was "What could be used that is of equal importance?" I told him this is the 1st time I ever heard of this I would look into it for him.

Anyone got any suggestions?

Thanks

Ed Mori

Troop 1

1 Peter 4:10

I always thought that the scout, his family, and physician, with consultation with the SM, would come up with an alternative proposal to submit to the Council advancement committee.

For the benefit of those reading, here is the complete policy:

A Scout who is unable to complete any or all of the requirements for Tenderfoot, Second Class, or First Class rank because he is physically or mentally disabled may complete alternative requirements if the following criteria are met:

The physical or mental disability must be of a permanent rather than a temporary nature.

A clear and concise medical statement concerning the Scout's disabilities must be submitted by a physician licensed to practice medicine. In the alternative, an evaluation statement certified by an educational administrator may be submitted. The medical statement must state the doctor's opinion that the Scout cannot complete the requirement(s) because of a permanent disability.

The Scout, his parents, or leaders must submit to the council advancement committee, a written request that the Scout be allowed to complete alternative requirements for Tenderfoot, Second Class, or First Class rank. The request must explain the suggested alternate requirements in sufficient detail so as to allow the advancement committee to make a decision. The request must also include the medical statement required in paragraph two above. The written request for alternate requirements must be submitted to and approved by the local council prior to completing alternate requirements.

The Scout must complete as many of the regular requirements as his ability permits before applying for alternate requirements.

The alternate requirements must be of such a nature that they are as demanding of effort as the regular requirements.

When alternate requirements involve physical activity, they must be approved by the physician.

The unit leader and any board of review must explain that to attain Tenderfoot, Second Class, or First Class rank a candidate is expected to do his best in developing himself to the limit of his resources.

The written request must be approved by the council advancement committee, utilizing the expertise of professional persons involved in Scouting for disabled youth. The decision of the council advancement committee should be recorded and delivered to the Scout and his leader. (Source: 33215F - page 13)

Ed,

Follow the procedure (Scoutldr wrote it word for word from Requirements). Get his physician's evaluation on what the Scout CAN do. If he can hike or bike ride, expand on those. Yes, they are already requirements, but when I was a Tenderfoot, I had to do THREE five milers for 2d Class (1969 or so).

Let us know how the process works :)

I've held off responding to Ed's request for suggestions because I have strong feelings about "alternate" requirements. I wanted to see what others had to say on this topic. Ed used the word "important" in describing an alternate requirement; scoutldr accurately quoted the advancement requirements which use the description as demanding of effort as the original requirement. My problem is deciding how to equate the level of demand of a particular task on an individual scout. Swimming was the first merit badge I earned as an 11 year old scout. I had been active in competitive swimming for two years prior to that and the demand of that merit badge was less than that of my second badge woodcarving. I also knew a scout who was pushing 18 at that time and had two merit badges left for Eagle, swimming and lifesaving because he just couldn't swim. How do we as outsiders evaluate demand. I can build signal towers and lash bridges but ask me to draw that structure after I've constructed it and I'm at a loss cuz I can't draw water. When we decide what level of demand to assign who are we using as a bench mark? We can't use the scout himself because we have already accepted that the task is beyond his ability. Do we try to decide how demanding the task is for the average scout? How do we do that? I really prefer Ed's original term "important what task has equal importance in the development of this scout. What was the purpose of the original requirement in achieving our goal in building the character and personality of this scout. What task will address the gap left by his inability to perform the original task. Swimming and Lifesaving were walks in the park for me but for my friend they were the hardest things he ever had to accomplish in scouting.

LongHaul

When taken in context, the decision is a committee decision...not of one individual (i.e., the CC or SM). Once the committee approves the alternate requirement, the SM's job is to document completion. The request must explain the suggested alternate requirements in sufficient detail so as to allow the advancement committee to make a decision. The request must also include the medical statement required in paragraph two above. The written request for alternate requirements must be submitted to and approved by the local council prior to completing alternate requirements. The Scout must complete as many of the regular requirements as his ability permits before applying for alternate requirements. The alternate requirements must be of such a nature that they are as demanding of effort as the regular requirements.

Scoutldr,

I've missed the point of your last post. I don't think anyone has disputed the text you quoted. I've re-read my post and don't see where I could have led you to think I was advocating a unilateral decision. I'm asking how the deciding body can equate "as demanding of effort as the regular requirements." How would you make that decision if you were on the committee? The person requesting the alternate requirement submits alternate requirement possiblities but how do you make the decision as to what qualifies?

LongHaul

(This message has been edited by LongHaul)

What I plan on suggesting is to ask the parents permission to talk to the Scouts doctor and find out what he can/can't do physically. If possible, I am leaning to letting him complete the requirements wearing a PFD if he is able.

I'll keep you informed.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Ed Mori

Troop 1

1 Peter 4:10