Camping MB when do you start counting?

I don't see that the references to a boy's patrol means the requirement is that the patrol must take a backpacking trip. Rather, in Boy Scouting, activities normally take place within a patrol. The MB book is just following the patrol theme that runs throughout Scouting. Boy Scouts do stuff as patrols.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have heard of troops that automatically bluecard a boy on several MB's when he joins the troop. Since the troop will be camping monthly and eventually all requirements will be met, why wait for him to "decide" to do the MB. He is doing the requirements whether signed up or not, so sign them up now. I think the logic is two fold. First is what I mentioned above, they will be camping anyway. Second, some read it as starting counting after getting the bluecard, so give it to them up front and cut out the extra wait.

Acco, I wouldn't read that requirement to require a patrol (not troop) campout. I think it simply reflects use of the patrol method on campouts--compare it to several of the rank requirements. And, if you want to get really literal, the requirement doesn't require the boy to go on this particular campout, just to prepare for it. (Many MBs have such oddities, where boys have to plan something, but don't have to actually do it.)

And AvidSM, you say "It says nights of summer (long-term) camp also count in an outdoor tent." It might be clearer if that's what the requirement said, but it isn't. As noted before, the requirement says: "Sleep each night under the sky or in a tent you have pitched (long-term camp excluded)." Your interpretation is one of several possible interpretations of these words. Many people have interpreted this to mean that the limitations on where you are to sleep don't apply to summer camp. The difficulty is that there are two values that BSA is trying to promote here: "roughing it," and encouraging attendance at summer camp--and they can be a bit in conflict.

Just like the requirement to "prepare a backpacking meal" using a backpacking stove. What does that mean? For me, that means a meal one eats while backpacking. To others, it simply means utilizing a backpacking stove.

To me, this is all part of the education / learning process for the Scout in dealing with adults (adult association).

acco40,

Pack packing meal...meal you would eat on a backpacking trip????

Oh gosh, I just cooked and ate my backpack and the zippers were really hard to tenderize!...don't ask about the frame...(I guess there is something to say for internal frames after all....)

:>)

anarchist

Geez anarchist! The zipper needs to be fricasseed! And the frame par-boiled then poached! Don't ya know nothin'?

And cabin packing don't count!

Ed Mori

Troop 1

1 Peter 4:10(This message has been edited by evmori)

Same merit badge, different requirement. Requirement 9.b.2 says:

9. Show experience in camping by doing the following:

b. On any of these camping experiences, you must do TWO of the following, only with proper preparation and under qualified supervision:

2. Backpack for at least four miles.

We ran into this when my son did the camping MB and I even started a thread questioning it. His troop was a new troop of nothing but 11 year olds. They had not "backpacked" yet. What they did do working up to it was hike 6 miles with backpacks one morning while on a regular car camping outing. Technically, he had fulfilled the requirement because all it says to do is backpack at least four miles and he did six miles. Nowhere in the requirement does it say you must backpack into a remote campsite, spend the night and cook a backpacking meal. Some of the people who responded to my question said that that is exactly what "backpacking" is and what the requirement intends. However, the requirement is only concerned with the "length" of how far you "backpacked". My argument is that they either need to expand on what they mean by the requirement or say "hike" at leat four miles while wearing a backpack.