Star advancement Service Project

Hi,

I'm curious about advancement service projects, particularly for Star. What kind of project qualifies and where can I find offical references to this. Ive heard a lot of hear say but haven't seen much in writing. Is this all up to interprtation on behalf of the scoutmaster? I have read that it's to be for 6 Hours and it should be service to others, not scouts? That's about all I know. Can anyone shed some light on this for me so I can be proactive with advancement.

Thanks

The 6 hours of service work must benefit the community, or a non-profit organization. I have heard opinions on both sides whether or not service hours for the BSA would count or not. I'm sure somebody out there has the exact page of the appropriate reference on that, but I don't at the moment. This is a good way to get scouts to help out fellow scouts with their Eagle projects.

I have never been under the impression that they had to plan a specific project individually..but we have had many Eagle projects lately so most of the boys put their time into those..but we also do other things too..like volunteer to make and serve a meal at the local Salvation Army Soup kitchen..We have an annual holiday party at a local nursing and the boys go and buy personal care items, etc. and put together gift packages for the residents, as well as provide refreshments and entertainment for the evening..every Flag Day, we host the Official Flag Retirement Ceremony for the City. There are lots of opportunities out there to do Community service..adopt a road..helping at food drives..HOLDING a food drive, etc.

No, I'm refering to a first class scout trying to advance to star and the only requirement left is his service project. He has worked at day camp for a week this summer and received a letter from the staff members he worked for complimenting this scout on his attitude and hard work. That was denied by his SM, which I can understand if the servcie project is not to be scout related. He's helped Eagle canidates in his troop wiht their projects that wasn't approved. His SM says the only place he can earn his service project is at a scout reservation. I don't agree, so I'm on a fact finding mission.

Thanks for you input

Pardon me, but where did your SM get THAT idea?

From BSA Requirements:

"While a First Class Scout, take part in service projects totaling at least six hours of work. These projects must be approved by your Scoutmaster."

Sounds to me like the Troop Committee needs to give a little GUIDANCE to the Scoutmaster.

We've used:

Bikes n Trikes for Tykes (local charity)

Scouting for Food

Service work during LT camp

Work at Church

J-Staff at Cub Day camp

Service work at the local domestic violence shelter

What we don't use:

Paid work (STAFF at camp)

Fundraising for the Troop (popcorn, wreath sales)

Thanks Sue,

Those are great ideas!. I hope we can be approved to do one of those. Is there anywhere written saying these are BSA approved projects. Or is it up to troop committe and SM only to decide what kinda projects will be approved?

Thanks

True, the SM must approve the service hours before they are worked. (Note, not the Committee, but the SM). However, that does not give the SM the right to add to the requirement simply states that the scout must work six hours on an approved project. It does not state anywhere about what it should be for.

The only time I've "denied" the hours a boy wanted to work was when I thought it was (1) too simple or (2) he was double-dipping with something else (Beta Club, etc.).

When a scout here is advancing from Star to Life I encourage but do not require them to seek sources outside of scouting for three of their six hours. I do this to get them to look outside the box and hopefully prepare them for a future eagle project.

AK-Eagle

aka

Phillip Martin

Scoutmaster Troop 21

Juneau Alaska

The requirement reads,

While a First Class Scout, take part in service projects totaling at least six hours of work. These projects must be approved by your Scoutmaster.

Meritbadge.com offers this explanation:

For Star and Life ranks, a Scout must perform six hours of service to others. This may be done as an individual project or as a member of a patrol or troop project. Star and Life service projects may be approved for Scouts assisting on Eagle service projects. The Scoutmaster approves the project before it is started. (note this in only one explanation, its not the final word).

The key is getting the scoutmaster's approval. Now, if he was unpaid at the Summer Day Camp, that could have been approved, had the scout approached the Scoutmaster first. I also have to say, most scoutmaster's I know would have taken the Day Camp work, even without prior approval. But, the Scoutmaster is within his rights to say he has to approve it first. If he says it has to be done at a scout reservation , that sounds like an odd request, how far away is the nearest scout reservation? My spider sense is telling me that there is more to this story.

I always tell the boys to look at the little page numbers written next to the requirement in their book. Those pages give more information. In this case, page 173 of the Handbook says "The requirements for the ranks of Star and Life call upon you to give at least 6 hours of service to others. You may complete this requirement on your own or do it along with other members of your patrol, squad, troop, or team. The project must be approved by your Scoutmaster."

I've not heard of any requirment that the work be approved in advance. But it would make sense to run the idea by the SM first to make sure that what the boy has in mind makes sense and to avoid disappointment from doing work that might not be considered service.

Id recommend the boy take his book to the SM, open to page 173, and say it says here and heres what I have in mind. If he says no, Id ask him to please explain why those hours would not really be service to others, and to make some suggestions of service that is acceptable.

FScouter hit the nail on the head. I ask the boys to get approval beforehand from me (the SM) but that is more to protect them and is not a requirement.

I know our district advancement chair gives the advice that the service should be "above and beyond" what is normally done by the Scout. I agree somewhat. BW, somewhere on this vast forum, has some good words on the purpose of service and why these are requirements in the first place.

I'm the CC for our troop. At our last meeting, one scout who happens to go to the same church as I do came and asked me if assisting with religious education at our church would count towards the service hours requirement - he has volunteered to be on the confirmation team. I told him that I thought it probably would but that he'd have to check with the SM to be sure. I saw him talking to the SM a little later and when he was next to me at circle, I asked what the SM had said. He said that the SM had agreed to the service :)

Kevin worked at one of the shelters for Katrina victums. Have one boy who has been working with hospice, and one that spent an entire weekend at the library cleaning shelves and books. Each and every boy is different. But it does have to benifit the community.