• LATEST POSTS

• @Alec27, He does not need the form. If you need confirmation from the "chain of command", have your candidate check with the District or Council Approving Authority AFTER he submits his proposal. See the Preliminary Cost Estimate section: "Note that if your project requires a fundraising application, you do not need to submit it with your proposal." Worrying about the form now is putting the cart before the horse. During the proposal phase, he only need answer the question: "Fundraising: Explain how you will raise the money to pay for the total costs. If you intend to seek donations of actual materials, supplies, etc., then explain how you plan to do that, too." You said, "The kid is building a deck and the whole thing is being funded by a private donation from one of our unit members who is also a parent who is also a friend of the family. " So, his answer is as simple as re-wording the instructions from earlier in the Workbook: "A member of my unit has graciously agreed to provide the funding.  I will fund any supplemental needs myself.  I do not plan to obtain money, materials, supplies, or donations from any other sources, therefore no fundraising application is required." And leave it at that. Happy Hunting  
    • You mock, but somewhere there is a kid sitting at home on his device that needs to start being physically active so he can train to participate with the troop on a day-long hike, a canoe trip, a long bike ride, whatever. We have some kids who struggle. Everyone is different. For some the requirements are easy, for others, some might take a little work. I watched my son complete the physical fitness requirements and MB as a young scout, and no, it wasn't difficult for him. But there was a sense of accomplishment. That the activities he participates in and effort he made has a difference in his fitness. So he can participate in the challenging physical activities with the troop. Remember we have volunteers at the unit level. They are not high-level professionals training for years to conduct the program. So we might have to spell it out for them.  The point is to encourage young people to make moral and ethical choices. I watch kids at summer camp skip breakfast and go straight to the trading post to load up on candy bars. It might work for a kid in the first year program, but not so well for the ones spending all day on the ropes course, or training for the mile swim. Some have to be told about the food pyramid. While the mess hall food isn't always the best, it has the nutrients they need to get through their daily activities.  So I see where the program goes askew. It is the focus on these seemingly mundane requirements. When the focus is really on going outdoors, having adventures, having fun. If you focus on the latter, the requirements will happen. It is not about checking boxes in the handbook. We need to give kids the "why" to complete them.
    • The thought here being that National is surreptitiously passing liability for injuries from the Council to volunteer adults with little or inadequate training without their knowledge of the shifting of risk?
    • If money for the project is raised / solicited from the candidate, his parents or relatives, his unit or its chartered organization, parents or members in his unit, or the beneficiary then NO FORM is needed.  Do not overthink.    
    • It appears that the Eagle Scout Service Project Fundraising Application and the Procedures And Limitations page are "self-contained," that is, comply with all the provisions of both and the Eagle Scout Candidate has fully complied with all rules. I note that the Application requires Council approval. The text in both the Application and the Procedures mention "donations," with little discussion on how much effort is expended to "fund raise."  So, I'd treat the cash donation as being the result of "fund raising," complete the Application accordingly, submit it for Council approval. If approved, the Eagle Scout Candidate is done with the issue. The law has a main "bug-a-boo," (well, thousands…), and that is, it is impossible to craft rules that cover every possible contingency.  Human activity always seems to present situations that were unanticipated. If the rules are well-crafted, the unanticipated situations are rare. In any event, unanticipated situations do present themselves and need to be dealt with appropriately. So what is "appropriately?" Our assumption is that we have a legitimate issue:  An Eagle Service Project.  So, there MUST be a way to accept donations and get the Project approved. First, you want to provide full information so that decision-maker has all the pertinent information that you have.  In current jargon the word in use is "transparency." I do not like that word because the statement, "You're not being transparent," connotes intentional concealment with evil intent. Maybe the case in some government and political matters, but not so in many other things. @T2Eagle has great suggestions.  It states the facts as they are:  "Mr./Mrs./Ms. X is donating $900± which covers all costs. Unsolicited." You've done all that you can do and provided all the information that there is. Now the ball is in the Council's court.  Let it approve, deny, or ask for clarification. The law is all about "pressure." So, the pressure is on the Council to deal with the Application as submitted. The immediate "pressure" is that the Council does not want to disappoint nor discourage an Eagle Candidate from continuing with their Project and WANTS to approve Eagle projects and increase its numbers of Eagle Scouts reported in its annual reports.
  • Who's Online (See full list)