• LATEST POSTS

• I came to the realization decades ago that the first step upon assuming a role in Scouting was to start looking for a successor.  I thought that accomplishing that could take several years. It soon became apparent that my efforts would have scant success in that in a troop of 15 scouts, or so, with two pairs of brothers, leaving 13 pairs of parents as prospects, and subtracting me and the other 3 or 4 parents already active, and subtracting most of the moms who are welcome but show little interest, that left about  8 "eligible/prospective" successors.  Of those maybe one or two had been scouts…who had the time, the interest, the skills… You get the idea-the pool of prospects was very small. I'm in my fourth year of "retirement" from being Troop Treasurer, still serving as treasurer…I agreed to stay on for 2 years after my youngest aged out…that was 6 years ago, and no prospects in sight. I've had no better luck at district level positions.
    • Yeah, leader burnout is a real thing. this is true in most organizations who fail to have a systematic approach to future leader recruitment and training. This also permeates to the youth; for good and for bad. I have found that the best philosophy for myself is to build the capacity to  cultivate your replacement's replacement. This future forward approach requires longer term planning than the typical "find one's replacement". It is difficult for sure.  I still have not figured it out completely. I have figured out that just having that principle as the premise helps tremendously as it focuses one's efforts and decisions. I try to keep a first principle in mind for all my decision making. With the scouts it is "do not do for a scout that which they can do for themselves". With the adults it is "cultivate your replacement's replacement".  
    • I'm talking about leader burnout. When leaders burnout, the program becomes boring and the scouts leave.  Your idea is sound from a marketing perspective, but it doesn't approach the real issue. Barry
    • I'm not going to try and quote stuff here, but the gist of the survey mentioned may be correct, and the sex abuse settlement may be one of our crosses to bear (reputation?) ,but that is not why kids join Scouting.... Some sort of Scouting. Kids go to school usually because their parents want them to.  We (parents !) realize we want our future (kids!) to know stuff. How to read, how to write, how to , as my dad used to say "cipher" .  They stay in school, hopefully, because they (the kids ) come to LIKE learning, if it is done well by gifted, talented teachers.  It is a challenge to speak, spell, realize numbers can be fun....  The challenge is the thing, not merely the achievement, the "AHA" moment. But the certificate, the  little trophy does mean alot to the kid.  So to with Scouting, whether it be BSA, or GSUSA, or Royal Rangers, or BP Scouts,,,   The National policy makers have , indeed , lost track of  this. The kid doesn't join Cub Scouts because she/he wants to "learn leadership".  They convince his/her parents to let him/her join because it is seen as fun, an adventure .  The patches mark the path taken, but the kid now knows about rope and knots,  knows they can hike 3 miles, carry  a canteen and maybe even cook a meal (grilled cheese is a meal).  It cannot be about sitting down and discussing , describing,  stuff. It must be about DOING stuff, and therefore taking pride in that accomplishment.  Knowledge of Poison Ivy or the old stuff in that museum we visited (with buddies),  can lead to Philmont or the summer camp over there (at least).  That is where the Leadership stuff comes from.  To lead, one must first be somewhat confident in one's self.  AND be able to see the connections between the problem/task at hand and the solutions (AHA !) .  The national folks of , fifty, sixty  years ago who did not own up to the abuse claims must bear the responsibility of BSA's lose of reputation.  The camps sold are the sad result. Where do our Scouts go to learn , experience ?  The Army, Marine Corps should not be the first place to go to learn self responsibility and life skills.   The adult may realize  what the end result can be (leadership?  Cooperation? Building? Happy life? ) but the kid has not thought about that, Sheldon Cooper not withstanding.   Keep on keeping on, friends.....   
    • @Eagledad Would you agree that given the right messaging, this too presents an opportunity? The messaging would somehow convey to parents it's not only safe & welcome to drop-off your scout, but expected.  This inasmuch as it's the scouts' program.  As I recall in my Scoutmaster days it took half of my effort to corral parents and separate them from the scouts to give them space. Of course, such a program relies totally on the capabilities and goodwill of SMs, ASMs, & CMs.  But I'm thinking for the average parent Scouting should offer a relief from adult burnout.
  • Who's Online (See full list)