• LATEST POSTS

• That is the hard part. Never had that happen.  I had to anticipate light changes and a green light in the distance, well, I'd slow down to make sure we all had to stop. I am not saying it was easy-it was not.  Very stressful. Sometimes the light was so short that the whole convoy did not make it through and we'd pull onto the shoulder for the rest to catch up. I'd only do that if very low traffic, etc. If not, then I'd proceed at just at legal limit so folks could catch up.
    • Well, as to cost, it depends on just how far a scout moves through the program.  Having 3 scouts who earned Eagle and a number of Philmont treks, and having helped numerous other scouts borrow or purchase gear over 20+ years, some truths have appeared: In a scout's early career, they usually get by with their existing clothes, heavy duty shoes, family camping type sleeping bags, blankets, rain coats, and such.  It is already owned, heavy, bulky, adequate for troop car camping, cabin camping, or situations where in the event of really inclement weather, scouts can resort to the shelter of cabins or vehicles.  They only need to be warm (or cool), dry, fed, etc. As the scout faces more challenging camping, where better equipment is necessary for comfort or safety, they become aware of the need for better gear:  lighter, more durable, more water resistant/proof, more comfortable, warmer, more wicking, more UV resistant/proof, more wind-resistant, repairable in the field, and so on.  This is where increasing cost comes in.  And those costs can be phased in over a scout's career. Being in the northern half of the country winters are considerably colder than southern climes, there is a pattern of how folks have acquired gear.  And the pattern is quite variable, but some general trends. First, they tend to purchase better sleeping bags for warmth, better boots, a warmer coat, or rain gear. In all likelihood, none of these will be suitable for a Philmont trek, but they are an improvement. Second, scouts look to buying a decent pack.  In my experience, a decent pack is the one expense that needs be made only once if done right. (Warning, big digression:)  I am an external frame person/advocate/fanatic. In my youth, that's all there were for packs of any size adequate to carry a winter's campout worth of gear. They had to be big volume because winter gear is bulky. Kelty was THE pack at the time.  I currently carry a Dana Design K2 Loadmaster. (Dana Designs has other models of likely the same utility.) They are available on eBay from time to time-either well below initial retail or at or above initial retail.  Mine was purchased at retail 20 years ago for $300. I easily carried 65 pounds at Philmont.  (Why that much, is another seminar).  Backpacker pack of the year in 2012±? I like external frame packs because:  I can grab the frame to pick it up to put it on, it holds its shape empty, it leans against a tree neatly, and has better ventilation across the back when worn. I own 3, and folks in my troop have purchased another 4. Since all those years ago, internal frame packs have progressed a great deal. At the end of the day, I choosing a backpack, first, it has to fit the body of the Scout, that is, length of torso (and the more adjustable the pack is for the Scout's growth, the better). Second, it has to have the volume to carry the gear needed.  Winter gear is BULKY-needs more volume. Third, it has to be comfortable. (Fourth, you'll need a rain cover for it. I do not rely on a "waterproof pack." I want a waterproof rain cover-which I can use to cover myself, if necessary.) Also, perhaps a tent, if the troop does not provide them.   Third, senior scouts headed to Philmont or another high adventure experience may well replace a good deal of all their prior gear.  Generally looking to reduce weight. As a scout progresses to more challenging adventures, they not only begin to recognize the limitations of their lower-grade gear, but also recognize the necessity of better gear. The good news is that by the time scouts get to that point, they are heavily involved in the program, the adventure, and it is clear that the expense is justified.
    • Total cost is on a continuum. I have seen high quality active outdoor troops which were relatively  inexpensive. I have seen low quality less active troops be more expensive. And everthing in between. A quality program is not synonymous with expensive. Quality, Easy, Cheap. pick two. A thrifty troop fills the $ gap with more work/effort. 
    • Beauty and expensive are in the eye of the beholder, so I'll leave that be. Momentum? The membership in 1995 was about 1M scouts (so not cubs or anything else). Right before covid that number had dropped about 25% to 750k. Covid has cut that number another 40%. Time will tell if the BSA withstood or fell to a thousand cuts. I wish the BSA would focus on those first two sentences. I would add that it also helps learn about working with others. Yesterday a scout called me up asking about some volunteering info. Well, he was my first scout that joined when I became SM some 20 years ago. He had a rough time as a kid and I won't get into why but he has fond memories of scouts. We talked, mainly because I'm an old man and also have fond memories. He said scouting really helped him learn some important lessons. He talked about leadership, the outdoors, working with younger scouts, just having fun with his friends. He made good memories. I think that's another aspect of the BSA's staying power. A lot of parents want for their kids what they had as kids.
    • Outdoors and Camps.  Our movement teaches our young people how to master the outdoors.  The thought of heading outdoors for the weekend is very positive and that helped us get through the difficulties.   Some of our camps approach matching the beauty of our national parks.  This is what comes to mind for many when they think of Scouting.  
  • Who's Online (See full list)