Wood Badge Course starting August and September

Anyone in the Pennsylvania, Maryland, Virginia, Ohio, New York or New Jersery area interested in taking a WB course in the beautiful central PA area. We will be holding N4-497-12 August 24-26 and Sep 28-30 at Camp Seven Mountains in Spring Mills, PA. Cost is $265. Deposit of $25 due by July 13. http://www.jvcbsa.org/openrosters/ViewOrgPageLink.aspx?LinkKey=18359&orgkey=2038 for more information!

• 3 weeks later...

If those dates don't work for you in August and September, the Shenandoah Area Council is conducting a Wood Badge for the 21st Century Course August 17-19 and September 7-9 at beautiful Camp Rock Enon just south of Gore, VA.

Details and registration available at http://www.sac-bsa.org/openrosters/ViewOrgPageLink.aspx?LinkKey=41946&orgkey=2571 or contact our Course Director Mike Spory at (540) 660-4220 or spory2@comcast.net.

Course fee is $225.

Yours in Scouting,

John Collins

Scribe

S7-598-12

I used to be a Buffalo and a good ol' Buffalo too...

...and now a Staffer!!!

Hey, while we are plugging, Daniel webster Coucil is holding a course Sept 14-16 and 28-30 and the cost is $275 at Hidden Valley Scout Camp on the Griswold Scout Reservation here in Beautiful NH!!!

I'm not in this geographical area and this is off topic a little, but why is it that these courses are scheduled for the time frame when the new school year, and therfore the new pack/troop year are starting up?

I have been trying to get in BALOO, and maybe some 'live' leader specific training over the summer, but nothing on my district's or council calendars.

Mid to late August and September will be busy getting the scouting year started up (planning meetings etc...), AND my kids are starting up with school and so we'll have open houses to attend, new drop-off schedules to get used to, etc.... The last thing I need to do is take off to go to some training.

Yeah, between trainers being on summer break, and Adult volunteers being on summer break, unless the training is offered by camp staff at summer camp, it is a headache for a District trainer to pull the staff together and then no one signs up..

Moosetracker you got that spot on. We try to offer when people are available. We also live near a Big Ten College and have to also not schedule during football weekends. Between that and times the camp are available we are very limited in our time!

I get that the older scouts might have more going on in the summer than we do, but for us cub leaders, at least our pack seems to be getting the short stick

I guess we're just different than most, but I just don't get it. I have a lot more time available during the summer. I'm not available during the winter.

Now granted, my pack doesn't do anything in the summer, & i know that some do... but even if we did, that would be one week out of 6 or 8 weeks....right?

During the school year, we are having 2-3 den meetings per week, plus a pack meeting, and almost every month we'll have a camping trip or other major pack outing. That doesn't even touch on anything for my girls, family outings, the major holidays that are in there, school and after school functions, etc....

..... I just don't get it.... we can't be that different.....

I was thinking of this over my lunch break....

Someone was mentioning the lack of turnout or interest in summmer training.

Perhaps it's becuase they are so burned out from the school year, they just need a break.

Maybe if they didn't have to squeeze training into an already busy time, they wouldn't get so burned out, eh?

This is one reason I have been given for our packs lack of summertime activity. A break to get away form it, and to allow time for non-scout activities, sports, vacations, etc...