X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Green Jac-Shirt

I have always been very partial to my traditional red Jac-Shirt. I love to wear it to Scout functions. But Supply had those darn new green ones on sale recently at a very good price, so I went for it.

I have to admit I really like the new one. I think the quality is better than my red one, considerably more sturdy. It is also a nice shade of green, such that I like to wear it out in public, not just at Scout events. It does have the Scout symbol on the pocket in black, so it still shows I am a Scouter.

All in all, it was a goos purchase and I think I will keep wearing it. It will never feel as special as the red one with the Philmont Bull, but that's OK.

Ya know... I was going to write a post about the new green jac shirts. BUT ... I was not going to be as nice.

Green Jack shirt

PROS
    ---- Comfortable and less itch'y.
    ---- Looks nicer then the old one
    ---- Scout emblem is embroidered on.

CONS
    ---- Less functional.
    ---- It lets the wind thru and does not keep you any where near as warm.

I swear that I could use the old red jack shirt over my short sleeve scout shirt until it was about 5 degrees. I always had my procedure. Button cuffs. Close one or two buttons. Button to near top. Flip collar up. The colder it got, the more I would button

The new one is only good to about 30 degrees if it is NOT windy. I love the new look and feel. But I miss the warmth and wind blocking of the old red jac shirt.(This message has been edited by fred8033)

Comment

Read the label.
      The originals were 100% wool, thick. The new ones are a blend. And (supposedly) moth-proofed.
      Made to be neater. longer, but , as has been said, thinner, not as insulative.

Comment

Yeah, I've read the label. Understand the differences. I'm just saying the green version is only a decorative replacement for the red version. If you want something functionally equivalent, you need to shop elsewhere.

I absolutely hated the disco red color of the old jac shirt, but you could depend on it keeping you warm.(This message has been edited by fred8033)

Comment

My red jacket is one of the new versions, so I know it is not the heavy duty all wool one. So, comparing it to the green jacket, I think the green one is actually heavier. Reinforced at the elbows, etc.

Comment

I'm fortunate, I got one of the old ones off of ebay.

Wouldn't mind one of these though

http://www.bemidjiwoolenmills.com/details/bm07_97/bm07_100.jpg

N Tier use to sell them, but no more.

Comment

I got my red coat at NT two years ago. I definatly love the pockets on the Bemidji Woolen Mills jacket. They still make them, but are a bit more expensive...

Comment

Working...
              X