X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Respect the uniform

I came up with this not long ago. I had noticed a few time scout wading up the uniform shirt and stuffing it into a bag at campouts, or coming to meetings with it in the same shape.

I have the troop circled up, and I pull out of a bag a piece of cloth, I used a pillow case. I tell them to pretend that it is a American flag. I ask them if this would be ok to wad it up. No, the say, and I ask why not, its just a piece of cloth. One of the tell me it does not show respect. I then pull out a flag folded correctly, and say that this is the correct way. I then pull out a uniform shirt all wadded up. I ask if this is ok. I point out that by not having it folded neatly, or hanging on a hanger, it does not show respect. It is not just a piece of cloth. It has there troop number, there council patch, and a US flag.

Nice, I like the visuals - it works well with boys of Scouting age.

However, be careful about the "flag" comment It has has their troop number, their council patch, and a US flag. We really don't have a miniature flag on our uniform - that would be against the flag code. We have a patch or flag emblem. I know to many that is a subtle difference but it is important to remember.

Comment

Ask them who they want serving their food, someone clean and groomed or disheveld and unkempt... They will understand what people see when they see a wrinkled, untucked, jeans wearing scout.

Respect needs to start with themselves and with their fellow scouts and it will only grow from there! Towards other people, towards their belongings...

Comment

One point of clarification to acco40's comment... the U.S. Flag Code, while written and presented as a set of rules, is not something that you can break or violate. In the words of a 2008 report to Congress, "the Code functions simply as a guide to be voluntarily followed by civilians and civilian groups." There are no penalties or enforcement provisions involved.

That said, the Code does refer to a "flag patch" authorized for use by military personnel, police, firefighters, and members of patriotic organizations. I guess we fall into the latter.

briantshore - I like the idea. I might also bring in the point of respect to oneself - a uniform shirt with your troop number, patrol emblem, rank, etc., is also a representation of who you are. Think of how your uniform is a personalization of you - you couldn't just swap it with a friend's or a leader's. It presents you to the world. Do you want yourself known for being a wrinkled, musty shirt? Or for looking sharp?

Comment

I have used this once before in TJLT before I talk about the TJLT agenda.

Scouts who have or want a position are present, I am in front with a chalkboard behind me.

I start off a simple ice breaker then go into this as if it's another ice breaker.

I ask - "Can you tell me how many articles there are in a Football uniform?"

(they guess easy stuff like jersey, helmet, cleats, football pants, and a few include mouth guard, pads, and such).

I might even ask things like, "if a player comes to a game without ____ do you think he'll play or knows the rules of the game?"

I do the same with a couple more (depending on the group I may add fireman, life guard or cable-guy), then ask if they can play or do the job with less than the basic uniform.. and most say, "No" (as they see it coming now - expected).

Then I ask, "what game are you guys playing right now?"

Depending on how that goes, I bring up some variations on how our Troop uses Troop T-shirts and the full uniform on outings and how we relax at camp.

Surprisingly, they usually carry most of the discussion.

Comment

Working...
          X