Secretary Gates speech at Jamboree

AWESOME READ! I had the pleasure of seeing him at the 98 NLTC, and he is a great man! he's one of those rare folks who puts country before politics, and wants whats best for the USA. It seems as if almost all who go to DC, irregardless of political party, try to do things to stay in power, despite what consequences to the country.

"he's one of those rare folks who puts country before politics, and wants whats best for the USA. It seems as if almost all who go to DC, irregardless of political party, try to do things to stay in power, despite what consequences to the country."

Very well put. One of my pet peeves about politicians.

His speech was excellent and definitely the highlight of the arena show. Unfortunately, it was one of too many speeches. Not much sizzle. And who were those bimbos and the idiot pretending to be a drill instructor, Sgt. somebody?

The closing was very cool -- William Tell Overture by the Army Herald Trumpets, backed by the jamboree band, including appropriately-timed live artillery fire in the last stanza. WAY COOL!

'dad,

Trust me there is a BIG (emph) difference between reading it, and hearing him. He told that story at NLTC,a dn I honestly that with all he has done, Eagle Scout, Vigil honor, Dist. Eagle Sct., president of NESA, etc, that that one camping expereince with his son is the highlight of his scouting expereinces.

Sgt Slaughter is sponsored by and promotes the National Guard. Just like the Guard has a NASCAR and had Dale Jr and Jeff Gordon make appearances at Jambo, the WWE "stars" were there to help promote the Guard. I don't watch WWE or NASCAR, but a lot of kids do. BSA is working hard to make Scouting relevant to their target audience. I'm glad to see it, even if some aspects that attract todays kids are not my cup of tea.