Has anybody else seen the email about the twitter contest at the jamboree yet? I don't think that rewarding a council for having the most tweets from it's contingent during a certain period of time is that great of an idea. It is cool to see how into technology the Jamboree is going to be, but this going a little too far.

What do you all think?

The "game" belongs to the boys. Is this something that might be of interest to them? Particularly the older boys who seem to lose interest in Scouts?

I have no idea about "tweeting", nor do I care to learn. But if my boys were into it, I might be wise to at least take an interest...

Ken

Yes the game belongs to the boys. And most of the late teens I know (plenty of them, thanks to my day job) do not tweet. That, apparently, is an adult-something that gets more play on the media who like to report on their own tweets (as opposed to reporting on real news), than among the kids. Or anyway, that's what my college students tell me on a very consistent basis.

So - I take this particular contest as an example of lame-brain adults making the facile assumption that anything tech-related will automatically draw kids in. And I see it as a marketing/publicity ploy for twitter (yeah, call me cynical). A cheap hook, and in this case, I think it will be an ineffective one, too.

Good point LisaBob. If the boys are not interested, they will vote by not partcipating. I have been wondering what kind of kickbacks some of the BSA marketing folks are getting. Has anyone seen the Centennial Gnomes? What on earh is up with that? I went to my National Supply shop last week and bought a pair of Centennial canvas zip off pants for my son. Also needed a couple of pairs of Centennial low-cut socks. No size large socks in stock,,,huh? But they had Centennial Gnomes in several sizes. Went back this wee to check on socks and pick up another pair of pants. This week they had the socks, but no pants. Still had all the Centennial Gnomes you could ever use. Unbelievable.

I don't have a clue how to twitter and can barely text!

Ken

Good point LisaBob. If the boys are not interested, they will vote by not partcipating. I have been wondering what kind of kickbacks some of the BSA marketing folks are getting. Has anyone seen the Centennial Gnomes? What on earh is up with that? I went to my National Supply shop last week and bought a pair of Centennial canvas zip off pants for my son. Also needed a couple of pairs of Centennial low-cut socks. No size large socks in stock,,,huh? But they had Centennial Gnomes in several sizes. Went back this week to check on socks and pick up another pair of pants. This week they had the socks, but no pants. Still had all the Centennial Gnomes you could ever use. Unbelievable.

I don't have a clue how to twitter and can barely text!

Ken