Bully behavior - leader v leader

Packsaddles - it was a question at Roundtable. We were discussing cyber bullying and how schools are cracking down on it even with staff members. We know leaders should never bully scouts and scouts shouldn't bully each other - but cyber adult against adult is something I've seen. Wondered what everyone's take on leader v leader is

Disclaimer - I'm not passive aggressive, I'm aggressive aggressive. My advice is to talk to the leader directly in person. See if that fixes it. ignore the cyber stuff for now. At the next committee meeting bring up the situation. Tell everyone you do not like what is going. If that does not fix the problem you need to find a troop that you fit better in. I have been there. Your situation sucks.

"Helpful, Friendly, Courteous, Kind, Cheerful"

That's what all conversations among scouters should be. As far as the cyberstuff goes, personally, I'll only regard what one has to say after we've hiked 4 miles into the wilderness.

• Upvote 1

Scout Law plain and simple was what most agreed....just trying to get a larger opinion. We were discussing the example that as leaders we need to be aware we set. About holding ourselves to the high standards of the Law. That's all. Some shared how the snarky inter pack/inter top email chains (reply all) gets abused etc... Thankfully the adults in my kids troop act like adults and I haven't seen that happen.

We have all seen the guy at roundtable who is the district enforcer......When a question is asked, the room hushes and all look to him for a reaction, especially if the question is controversial.

It is a volunteer organization......I don't have to be here to fulfill any lifelong ambition or a particular obligation. If you want me gone just say so, I will look over my shoulder with a smile for the boys I have touched and may have made a difference in their lives.

Momleader, I believe I have a very real sense of what you're referring to and have experienced passive aggressive leader vs. leader bullying. You may wish to see my post from a few months ago on unethical conduct of leaders. Ultimately, the BSA has no rules or policies regarding any level of unethical, immoral or bullying (whether direct or in an indirect/passive aggressive manner) when it comes to adult leaders. When I brought issues of concern to my local council the council listened and empathized but basically said that there was nothing that they could do.

It's sad and unfortunate that there are BSA leaders who lack integrity, do not live by the principles of the scout oath and law and who ultimately choose to run their units a an autocracy, or something very close to that.

Or the Parents bullying the Pack and Troop leaders.

I am going to call the council office if you don't do X or Johnny isn't given or appointed X.

Your Pinewood derby stinks so I am gonna call the District Executive and get you in trouble.

Or the mom demanding to know why her scout isn't advancing. Your program stinks, Your holding MY scout back on purpose. no your scout missed the orienteering outing, and the last three campouts and has not acted as head cook for his patrol, He did not know the Three R's

As soon as he completes those, he will advance........

I really don't get this. Does anyone seriously think there needs to be a national policy on this? How about this: Act like adults, both in terms of being a bully and dealing with them.

I suppose I shouldn't be surprised. After years of rescuing kids from all life's little insults and refusing to allow them to deal with their own problems we eventually get adults with the same expectations.

Or the Parents bullying the Pack and Troop leaders.

I am going to call the council office if you don't do X or Johnny isn't given or appointed X.

Your Pinewood derby stinks so I am gonna call the District Executive and get you in trouble.

Or the mom demanding to know why her scout isn't advancing. Your program stinks, Your holding MY scout back on purpose. no your scout missed the orienteering outing, and the last three campouts and has not acted as head cook for his patrol, He did not know the Three R's

As soon as he completes those, he will advance........

I agree, the parent vs leader bullying is probably the most prevalent in terms of adult bullying. I've mainly heard the bit about why isn't Johnny advancing....