Does your pack meet in the summer?

This is a spin off from a thread about troops. Made me curious what other packs do in the summer.

Regular meeting schedule, limited meetings, nothing, or something else?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We have a few activities in the summer but not regular meeting. We will have a few bigger events day camp and family camp. We also will meet to go on a hike or go fishing. We have done bike rides in the past also, We try to meet at least once or twice a month. Sometimes I wish we would meet more even if it is just for short hour or two outings. I think it would help with retention of cubs.

We do our Montly activity for the summer time pack award. I also adopted the "wednesday night hike with the cubmaster" usually at local parks, bring the whole family type things. I got the idea from here. I have recieved a lot of positive feeback from it. my replacement plans to keep it going this summer.

We have a VERY active summer program. We camp at least twice.. offer two activites a month for the Summer Activity Program, and meet at least every other week.. (normally every week)

We've found it helps with retention if the boys don't leave for the summer.

We try to provide at least three pack activities: a picnic in June, a hike in July, and a day at the pool in August. We also invite parents to attend as many district and council events as possible. The most important is day camp, but last summer there was also a cub mobile race, a fishing derby, a jamboree and mud cubs. Our main focus last year was helping every scout earn the summertime award. They had to attend one event inJune, one event in July and one event in August. We tried to invite everyone to lots of events, so that they could schedule around their family calendar. All but one of my scouts earned the award. This summer I think I will add a den outing each month. We don't get to do enough outings during the year. Too much rain in the Pacific Northwest :)

I only took over as Cubmaster this past fall and no we do not meet in the summer. We finish up at the end of April and then are off until school starts back up in the fall. We may try to introduce the one event a month during the summer of 2014 but just do not have the leadership in place to do it this year. Our pack website does promote council events that happen over the summer though.

Our Pack has three scheduled activities over the summer - bowling in June, a swim party in July, and a fishing derby in August. We do not have Pack or Den meetings those three months. We also encourage our boys to attend camp - we select a day and an overnight camp together and encourage all our members to attend one or both of those.

We do three PAck summer events, a sport in June (alternating softball, ultimate frisbee), a service in July (either invasive weed removal or grabage clean-up, but last summer was storm drain stenciling), and the Raingutter Regatta in August, all on weekday evenings when our Pack Meeting would normally be. I encourage Den's to stay active, and have had success with a Saturday afternoon hike for my new first-year Webelos. But none of these activities needed to be more coordinated then "ok, lets all show up at this place/time" with one person bringing supplies. I promote the council resident and daycamps, but don't stress out about trying to get stuff done to arrange groups to attend them.

We do three PAck summer events, a sport in June (alternating softball, ultimate frisbee), a service in July (either invasive weed removal or grabage clean-up, but last summer was storm drain stenciling), and the Raingutter Regatta in August, all on weekday evenings when our Pack Meeting would normally be. I encourage Den's to stay active, and have had success with a Saturday afternoon hike for my new first-year Webelos. But none of these activities needed to be more coordinated then "ok, lets all show up at this place/time" with one person bringing supplies. I promote the council resident and daycamps, but don't stress out about trying to get stuff done to arrange groups to attend them.

• 1 month later...

Our Pack is really active in the summer. In June we do a "end of year" bridging ceremony at our former Cubmaster's house. In July we have a Pack camp out, and in August we travel to the San Francisco Bay Area and spend the night on the U.S.S. Hornet. We also do Day camp and hopefully this year we can get more members of our Pack to do the council family camp. All of our Dens meet at least twice a month. In addition, we also do some service projects. It brings the boys closer and they really enjoy the activities. One bummer this year, our annual scout day at the minor league baseball is next weekend instead of the summer. It will be interesting to see how it pans out.

Since this is my first year with Cub Scouts, I asked the same question. We will meet twice in May (as normal) for den meetings, once at a Pack meet. June, we will have our cub scout day camp for 5 days. In July, I am helping organized one pack meet (water themed), so that everyone will be eligible for the Summertime award (something our pack has never did.) In August, we will have a welcome back pack meet and our den meets will resume in September with the new kids who join then. I was told although our boys earned tiger rank at B&G in February, to use these months to work on other things (electives, belt loops, awards, etc.) and save the wolf requirements for September when the new boys join (which is ok with me.) So many of our kids are in other sports or are going out of town for some of the summer - this will make sure they don't miss a ton of stuff.

So I was looking at the Cub Scout Outdoor Activity Award today....and I wanted to ask others.

While I love the idea of this award....I feel like it's whole purpose is to promote, there-by raising money for, District/Council Cub Scout Resident/Day Camp.

I'm curious how others feel about the award.

Our pack continues with monthly pack meetings throughout the summer. Regular den meetings end in May and restart in September. We also have a few council camps (Twilight Camp - June, Day camp - July, Wolf/Bear Weekend - July).