Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's your favorite piece of gear you have in your kit?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's your favorite piece of gear you have in your kit?

What's that one thing you couldn't do without?
    Coffee pot...wish I'd have gotten the stainless one instead of the aluminum...would look better after all these years...maybe next time...

Two-ply TP

Comment

Leatherman Micra followed by Nano Light. They are small and light so I have them on me all the time.

Comment

Mine would be my Big Agnes air mattress. The best I've ever had!

Comment

My CPAP. Second is earplugs because the SM doesn't have a CPAP.

Comment

Sog Micro Toolclip (kinda like the Leatherman Micra). There's a funny story about getting that through Heathrow security about 15 years ago. Suffice it to say, I still have it.

Comment

My collection of essential reading:

Waterproof New Testament and Psalms
              Laminated Track and Scat Guide
              Laminated Guide to Edible Plants
              Laminated Star Chart

It's rare that a weekend goes by without a youth asking to borrow one of the above.

Other stuff (even my espresso pot ) may get swapped in and out depending on conditions. For example, it's swiftly becoming the season where orange pinafores get tied to any gear covering backs or heads.

Comment

• qwazse
                qwazse commented
                Editing a comment
                I try not to laminate myself ... makes it hard to breath.

I bought mine at the scout shop. I bet they can be found in most sporting goods stores.

• duckfoot
                duckfoot commented
                Editing a comment
                I have some from Barnes and Noble...plants, trees, tracks...they have more than that I plan on adding little by little

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/c/jame...e=90&startat=1

They have a lot more on teh interweb
                Last edited by duckfoot; 09-27-2013, 02:43 PM. Reason: added linky

• berliner
                berliner commented
                Editing a comment
                I have a BSA star chart neckerchief.
                Pretty cool in the norther hemisphere, source of LOLs in the southern hemisphere ...

Anything that keeps me warm and dry really.
                That extra pair of socks in a zip lock and spare plastic bags that you can line your boots with
                (so when you have wet boots you take of wet socks, dry your feet put on dry socks pull plastic bags over socks and go back into your wet boots)

LED petzl headlamp.

Comment

Big Agnes Air Mattress
                REI Flex Lite Chair

Comment

• duckfoot
                  duckfoot commented
                  Editing a comment
                  How small does that chair pack?
                  Last edited by duckfoot; 09-27-2013, 03:30 PM.

Per official specs: 4 x 14 inches Don't sit it it with your legs uphill...

Comment

From a lady backpacker in this order...hair elastics (can be used for more than ponytails), Pack of unscented baby wipes, Leatherman micro, dental floss, Starbucks via packs, micro fleece stuff sack (stuff with tomorrow's clothes and makes a pillow), ziplock bags

Comment

• duckfoot
                    duckfoot commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I ditched my small almost worthless camp pillow for a pillow case with clothes...

• dcsimmons
                    dcsimmons commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I'll second the via

Originally posted by King Ding Dong View Post
                  My CPAP. Second is earplugs because the SM doesn't have a CPAP.
                  I have to Say CPAP, Followed By Power Converter

Comment

• King Ding Dong
                    King Ding Dong commented
                    Editing a comment
                    How do you power yours ? Raccoons on a treadmill ?

My new CPAP is 24V. I need to get 12 to 24 converter. Right now I use a marine battery, converter to AC then the power supply converts to 24V DC. stupid but it's what I have. Gets me two nights on one charge.

• Basementdweller
                    Basementdweller commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I use a goodknight G420.....I can get a week at summer camp on a 12 volt 20 amphour battery......

Bought it just for camping. AC inverters are super ineffiecent

Check this company out.....Dont know of anyone who has one yet....But when mine quits this is what it is getting replaced with.

http://www.mytranscend.com/

I plug a power converter in the Cig Lighter outlet in the Truck. Set the CPAP in the Back seat of my Quad Cab....plug it in....Open the pass through Window in rear window....pass the Hose and mask through the Window and Sleep on a Cot in the Bed of the Pick up under a Rain Fly.
                  Last edited by jpstodwftexas; 09-28-2013, 11:56 PM. Reason: Spelling

Comment

Basementdweller sounds like a Good system..I like their Battery options.... However I am leery of Product which they won't tell you the Price

Comment

• duckfoot
                      duckfoot commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Looks like they don't sell direct...go to the Buy Trascend link and then the dealer links are on the right side

• Basementdweller
                      Basementdweller commented
                      Editing a comment
                      My good night is 7 years old I need a replacement.....

I think I found the machine for $435 and the cig cord adapter was $100 so not too bad.

I wouldn't buy their batterys.....You can get custom built lipo batterys with higher capacity for about the same money.

Before I rework my system with a new machine or converter/inverter and a smaller battery I want to give these things a try. My current machine is really light but the 24V thing is a problem. http://www.proventtherapy.com/about-provent.php They are FDA approved and a nytimes piece said they are effective in about 70% of patients. Not covered by most insurance apparently, but might be worth a few bucks a night simply for the space/weight factor. I have thought about the laser surgery, but my ENT said it is a nasty 2 week recovery and again only effective in about 70% of cases. Jp, your truck battery is not really designed for this application. You will shorten its life by draining it like that. Having a deep cycle battery on hand is great for when the home power goes out. It doesn't happen often, but it sure is nice to be able to sleep when you have no power. As it appears I am not the only one with a CPAP, we need a CPAP thread to discuss ideas, solutions and failures.

Comment

Working...
                    X