My requirements just say, "Make a comfortable ground bed." The scout doesn't have to sleep in it.

Regardless, LNT doesn't preclude ground beds. In heavily utilized areas it isn't an issue at all. In wilderness areas, the point would be to camp on durable surfaces and leave the location as close to pristine as you can. However, following the principle of planning ahead, a ground bed would not be a good choice for a wilderness area.

Rws5374 in The Handbook is more than just the pages with the requirements in them. The majority of the Handbook is information explaining how to do the requirements. For instance on page 241 it explains how to make a comfortable ground bed. You will see it has little relation to Leave no Trace methods.

BW

Based upon the description on page 241, the only thing that might affect the natural setting is the clearing of the stones and sticks that might poke you or damage the bottom of a tent. A

The rest of the section talks about using a ground cloth, sleeping pad, sleeping bag, blankets, and storing your gear.

Assuming the clearling of stones and sticks is done with care, and you're not clearing a densely forested area or a gravely outcropping, preparing a ground bed should be very LNT friendly.

The thing I'm still struggling with is ... should boys bring TWO ground cloths - one for under the tent and another for inside the tent?

Gosh, I get to disagree with BW...just a little bit....Man! do you you know how tough its been agreeing with him all this time...(just jokin...love ya BW)...

I love the practical topic of 'ground cloths'...cause the answer is; "it depends"...what is the motivation or reason you are REALLY using the ground cloth...(I know... it sounds weird)

We often say "it is to keep water out of the tent"...translation..."keep our gear and Sleeping Bag dry!"...some times we say "to protect the bottom of the tent from puntures"...but this 9the later answer)really depends on what you are using as a gound cloth...plastic sheeting really does not 'resist' punctures better than the tent floor material (woven nylon or poly)

On an expedition or trek where the "dampening" of my bedding will mean days of discomfort. There is just no alternative, the ground cloth (4-6mil plastic sheeting - also called builders cloth)goes inside the tent! The "ground cloth" is cut 'fuller' than the tent bottom so that it actually 'lays' up all four sides of the tent and above any floor level zippers.

The corners of the plastic sheeting are 'folded' together and 'Duct Taped' as an aid to maintaining a bath-tub effect...

Then as long as my overhead seams are sealed none of my gear gets wet. Also, I will point out, with this arrangement water that does(may?)get between the plastic and the nylon or 'poly' floor is wicked(forced) downward, not upward towards your bag and clothes..(any water trapped between the two materials is going through the woven fabric not the plastic unless the plastic is punctured...)

If you are protecting the floor and cleanliness of the floor fabric... an argument can be made for ground cloths outside the tents...but I am willing to bet that if you are protecting your comfort and sleeping quality (health?) the Plastic inside makes better sense...and any little tears...DUCT TAPE!

Give it a try...you may also find that if you are set up on a surface other than packed dirt or mud, any water that goes under your tent 'percs' down through the leaves or grass...try it and let us know which you prefer!