Camping MB - conservation project

The resident teen at my house is one requirement shy from completing his camping merit badge. This was a merit badge that he started at summer camp. He discussed the outstanding requirements with the ASM that was in charge of summer camp. The ASM told him that he is aware that he has done some of the requirements that are outstanding, and that he needs to just send him an email stating on which campout he accomplished these things. There was also some written work, which my son has just completed. However, looking at the list of outstanding requirements, he is missing 9c: "On one of your campouts, perform a conservation project approved in advance by the private landowner or public land management agency." To my knowledge, our troop has only done one conservation project in the last year and a half, and my son didn't go on that campout because of a family commitment. They do police their campsites to pick up trash (theirs and that which is left over from previous campers). Anybody have suggestions? Can a scout do a mini conservation project without having to head up a whole troop-wide project? He isn't in a troop leadership position right now, so he doesn't go to PLC (he's a den chief instead) and therefore can't really make the suggestion of a conservation project for a campout.

I know that what meets the requirements should be left to the MB counselor (who in this case would be the ASM for summer camp), but knowing this ASM, I think it might be a good idea for my son to go in with some suggestions for meeting the requirement. I hope we (son and I) aren't making a mountain out of an anthill.

I believe your ASM is under the misconception that being a unit leader qualifies him as a MB counselor. What your son should do is et the SM to give him the names and contact information on registered and approved camping merit badge counselors in your area. If the ASM hapens to be one of them thsts great but he needs to be registered as a counselor for that badge.

Also even if your son isn't in the PLC he can still make suggestions. And he can still make his needs for a project known. The first step though is to meet with a registered counselor.

BW

This is one example of a situation in which the troop (or at least the patrol) needs to make advancement opportunities available. I think it's very likely that there are other boys who will also need to do conservation projects for camping (or who could use the service hours for rank advancement). The boy should talk to the Senior Patrol Leader, the Scoutmaster, and the Advancement Coordinator to make sure that they all know that a conservation project opportunity needs to be built into an upcoming campout. Personally, I don't think just policing the campsite would be enough, but something like a broader litter cleanup could well be appropriate.

Hunt - I agree. We try to do this 2 or 3 times a year. On a campout, we'll get with the local ranger to find out what needs to be done in the area. They're always willing to take help. Typically it's clearing a trail, trimming back trees or picking up trash. It's a great way to give back, and it gives the scouts plenty of opportunities to get service projects.

torribug,

picking up camp site trash is definitely not a conservation project...it is what every troop should do as they leave a camp site ("better than we find it").

Second...the PLC is not a dictatorship it is a representative body...those boys were elected...your son has every right to suggest to his PL and his SPL anything (nearly) he wishes to suggest...certainly, a service project is 'in order' ALWAYS...he could even request permission to attend the PLC and make a presentation(ours are open to all troop members-voting alone is restricted to elected members)

Projects are not hard to 'find' and the scout along with his PL should be able to scare one up with two or three phone calls and a quick chat with the SPL and SM...

County State and National parks love Volunteers, most have some paperwork -(liability releases)to be filled out before starting...There are local versions of worldwide clean-up efforts...rivers... come to mind. 'Friends' organizations of National Parks offer several ooportunities each year for 'low drag' (not much planning effort-just show up with work gloves) work efforts...

National Arbor day...tree planting, ...It is endless...

I would suggest to your boy that he and his DL get together after school and make a plan (and a few phone calls) to take to the PLC next month (week?)

We recently camped at a park and used storm-downed tree trunks to line trails and fortify washouts...easy...no brainer...and actually quite a bit of fun.

Bob White's and Anarchist's replies are right on the money.

I am an ASM and a registered MB conselor for Camping. Every camping trip our troop goes on, when we check in we ask if there is anything they need help with. In most cases this has fulfilled requirement 9c.

Your son needs to talk to the SPL and SM in order to incorporate a service project on their next camping trip.

Since service hours or projects are required for many ranks and MB's approval should not be a problem. The best part is they only expire when used by the Scout. It is win - win for everybody.