Service Hours for Star & Life

OGE, I may have what Ed has in mind or I may be way off base but - I think what he is saying is that when community service is made mandatory - it is no longer service. That is a fine line I know. Some religious programs dictate a certain amount of time spent on community service, so does Scouts for rank advancement, so do some schools etc.

To stir the pot, I'll make a religious comparison. I'm more of in the camp of a "loving God" who wishes that we (humans) do "nice things" like community service because we see it as actions that contribute to the betterment of society. Others may take the view of a "vengeful" God and they perform community service so they don't have to worry about spending an eternity roasting over hot coals in the afterlife. Judges sentence criminals to community service - yikes! That makes people associate service with punishment.

Now does it matter why someone performs community service or does just matter that they do? I'm in the camp that believes it does matter why they do it.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Acco, I understand that, I think, what I am after is why does the BSA mandate service time? If forced service time is useless, as Ed seemed to imply, then the service a scout renders is likewise worthless. But if in doing the service, the scout (or student) comes to see the value of service, how different organizations aid the community and they willingly continue after the required committment is met, then it works.

Agreed and the only way that judgement call (did the Scout come to see the value of service?) can be made is to talk to the Scout. Now, if I could only effectively communicate that to the parents!

acco,

That's exactly what I meant. And, no, OGE, I don't think it's useless.

The school district I live in requires x hours of community service for graduation. They offer such things like helping the band load instruments, sweep the gym, etc. so the kids can meet the requirement. Part of community service (to me) is finding it! If it's handed to you then it is useless.

Ed Mori

Troop 1

1 Peter 4:10

Ed, your school district sounds like it instituted a nice "free labor" program rather than a community service program. I like that idea. I'm going to offer the Scouts in our troop the opportunity to sweep out the Scoutmaster's garage, cut his grass, bag his leaves, etc. Thanks for the great idea!1 ;)

I'm not crazy about the school service hours requirement, partly because I think it takes away from those who serve voluntarily, and partly because it interferes with the family's decisions about what constitutes service. For example, explicitly religious activities cannot be included--so, for example, if your service was handing out religious tracts on the streetcorner, it wouldn't count--but working for a political campaign does count. I think that's probably unconstitutional, but I'm not quite upset enough about it to sue.

Service hours for scouting are different, because the whole organization is voluntary.

Bottom Line Up Front: Different forms of service may be creditable against different activities:

As an advancement coordinator in a unit...

1) OA Ordeal: Normally, no for advancement. This service time is a threshold to enter the Order. Now, cheerful service at an induction, AFTER the Ordeal? Definitely yes.

2) I can live with this as service time. Our unit tries to encourage service time to be away from Scouting, but when the youth volunteers...

3) I have heartburn with fundraising as community service. It's fundraising that benefits the Troop, not others.

4) As a God and Country Counselor, this counts under PROTESTANT "God and Church" (confirmation age) award. Heck, it's mandatory from PRAY. I invite an RC Counselor to comment on "community service" for their religious award.

5) Again, as a God and Country Counselor, this counts under PROTESTANT "God and Church" (confirmation age) award. Heck, it's mandatory from PRAY. I invite an RC Counselor to comment on "worship service" for their religious award.

On a personal note, 2 summers ago my son was J-staff at Cub District Day Camp. His workload was 40 hours service. His SM and Pastor broke the time down: 30 hours to parish confirmation community service, 6 hours against OA Ordeal (he had to fall out of day camp for his ordeal ... one work day off site), and 4 hours against his Life. Since he had two hours on the books from helping an Eagle, he met his six hours standing on his head.

While I understand BobWhite's take, I'd rather find activities that have service requirements and encourage the youth to do the programs. That way, the positive reinforcement comes as distinct attaboys!(This message has been edited by John-in-KC)

Just curious John, who approves the service hours in your unit, y ou (advancement coordinator) or the SM? I know the book answer is the SM but I suppose the advancement coordinator could handle that function if they were heavily involved with working and interviewing the Scout about his activities.