I'm not sure if there's a traditional process that I'm not following, but . . .

I have a few ideas I'd like to share. My boys won't be working toward Eagle for years and there's a couple of things that I think would qualify as Eagle Projects that would be helpful sooner rather than later. Plus, I'm guessing that some scouts struggle with deciding on a good Eagle Project, though I'm not sure if there are standards that these ideas wouldn't meet.

I'd like to hear your comments or share other ideas for Eagle Projects that you'd like to see some Scout attempt.

1)(There are probably some of these in existance, but...) Develop an inventory, and sharing process, for equipment that is seldom used, but on occasion wanted by almost every Pack/Troop in the area (equipment necessary to teach a particular achievement, or only necessary for special occasions). This equipment could be housed by the District or Council. And, yes, it would mean work for council office staff which would have to maintain the process after establishment, but the benefit would be large, especially in areas (everywhere?) where money is tight.

2)Gather together an area-wide Scout Choir (and all the volunteering adults necessary to make this work) and record a large number of Scout songs, that could be burned as CDs and shared and used on a National level.

Any thoughts?

Neither qualify as Eagle Scout projects since they benefit scouting.

Quoting from the Boy Scout Handbook..

"While a Life Scout, plan, develop, and give leadership to others in a service project helpful to any religious institution, any school, or your community."

Bob White

(This message has been edited by Bob White)

The Eagle service project was added as a separate and distinct requirement for Eagle in 1965. It stated:

While a Life Scout, plan, develop, and carry out a service project helpful to your church or synogogue, school, or community approved in advance by your Scoutmaster.

That is considerably different than the present requirement which is now a LEADERSHIP project:

While a Life Scout, plan, develop, and give leadership to others in a service project helpful to any religious institution, any school, or your community. (The project should benefit an organization other than Boy Scouting.) The plan must be approved by...

The main emphasis now is on Leadership. In our District, the Advancement Chair reviews all projects. He/she wants to see that the Scout can properly follow the instructions. That includes plan the project, develop it, properly complete the Eagle Scout Leadership Project Workbook (as required) and then LEAD the project to completion. In my opinion, the Project itself is less important than the Leadership that is demonstrated to complete it.

A common problem is that the final signatures for the completed project are only the Scoutmaster and the institution representative that benefitted from the project. The Eagle Board of Review may not have a full understanding of the changes that occurred to the project during its development. Rarely is the project intact at the end of the process. We like to have the District Advancement Chair on the Board of Review since he approved the project in the first place.

Interesting that a Scout's peers and organization aren't seen as a "community". Is that a written policy,(boleta- I see you included it as if it's written into policy. Or are those your words?) or an unwritten tradition? Helping a district or council full of scouts seems like a great way to help a community - even if it's indirect.

From the national web page

http://www.scouting.org/nav/enter.jsp?s=xx&c=ds&terms=life+to+eagle

3. Eagle Scout Leadership Service Project Workbook

Limitations

Routine labor (a job or service normally rendered) should not be considered. Work involving council property or other BSA activity is not permitted. The project also may not be performed for a business or an individual, be of a commercial nature, or be a fund-raiser. (Fund-raising is permitted only for securing materials or supplies needed to carry out your project

(This message has been edited by OldGreyEagle)

Thanks all.

Can't say I'm not disappointed but I certainly understand several reasons why BSA would set such parameters. I just wish I had a clearer idea how to get a couple of these projects done.

From what I've seen locally, there's a great deal of duplication of purchases for items rarely used yet not shared. This spends money that could better be spent elsewhere. And less practical, but maybe dearer to my heart, is a noticeable loss of songs and singing - campfires and elsewhere.

(This message has been edited by johndaigler)

hey Mr Daigler, I have an idea and I am sure some of my fellow critters know what's comming, but first an explanation,

Part of the Eagle Leadership Project is to stretch the scout, make him go out in the community and converse with people he normally doesnt, whether it be township commisioners or city councilmen or his church's Elders, its to enlarge his comfort sphere.

Now, about that song book and CD, sounds like a wonderful idea that is the beginning of a Woodbadge ticket item. Ever think of doing Woodbadge, its the best fun you will ever have, and I am sure all my fellow critters will agree from the mightiest Bear to even, well I will let you all fill in your idea of the lowliest critter. While your boys work on their scouting career, you work on yours, now wouldn't that be loverly ?

And if you need help, I have been known to croon a few tunes now and again(This message has been edited by OldGreyEagle)

JohnD,

You ideas are wonderful and could be used to better Scouting in your area. Equipment sharing would be considered helpful by many units, especially the new ones. The song CD would be great fun and could be used in many ways. For those of us that lack musical talent, a CD sing-a-long would be just the item needed for so many occasions.

I do like OGE's request for you to attend Woodbadge. I think you would fit in nicely.

As for a list of Eagle Projects, there is another project all by itself.

Fuzzy Bear

When your Boys start to look for a worth while project, they might want to start with the organization that charters the unit.

Many of the churches that Charter Scout troops in our area have benefited greatly from the work done by Scouts. Of course some Scouts are happier doing this at there own church.

Some Scouts belong to other organizations and work with them when it comes to the project.

When the time comes and if you are really stuck you might want to have a word with your district advancement chairman. These guys have been known to keep a couple of projects on the back burner.

Eamonn

There are more service projects besides the one for Eagle. What you are suggesting would work great for any of those three, or for multiple boys for those three.

Remember just because it won't work for Eagle, doesn't mean it wouldn't work for Star, or Life. If you catch my drift...

• 5 weeks later...

What kind of garden? Annuals,Perennials, Vegetable or what?

How big is this garden? 6ft by 6ft or 100ft x 100ft?

Is the land clear? Will you have to remove a building or two or cut down mature trees? Drain a swamp?

Do you have the church's permission to plant the garden?

(Note: The use of hyperbole in this post is to make a point, just like Johnny 5 we need more input before hazzarding a guess)

Do not get fixated on what the projet accomplishes. That is not the purpose of the Eagle Project requirement.

What is important is that no matter what the project does ...the Eagle Scout must plan and gives leadersip to it.

Almost anything that benefits people outside of scouting can be an Eagle project if the Eagle candidate does his part correctly.

Focus on what leadership skills are needed to plan and carry out ANY project. Then apply those skills to a specific goal. That is what an Eagle Project is.

I have to admit a mental fog on my part perhaps cocolin. I have read your last post over a few times and I do not understand what you are trying to say.

I think what both Eamonn and I are saying is that we don't know if planting flowers is a good eagle project until you give us proof that it is.

If you can tell us what is involved, and how it would require your leadership, then it is a good project. If you cannot answer those questions then it is a bad eagle project.

That is what the project write-up is all about. Show that you understand and use good leadership skills and any service project can be acceptable as an Eagle Project. But until you can communicate what the specific steps in accomplishing the specific goal are, and show how you will give leadership, then no project will qualify regardless of its purpose.

It is not about what the project does, it's about what you do to prepare for and lead the project that matters.