Peer Review for advancement

FOG, Eamonn

Thanks for your insights, We currently concentrate the skills approval to the SM and ASMs. I wonder if we added to the people who are able to approve the skills we might be able to give some additional attention to making sure the scouts actually learn the skill.

The knot relay would be a great way to keep them current on their skills.

Saying it is "peer review" is not really true because the older boys do not consider the newer boys peers at all, and what you are doing is really putting up barriers to cooperation between the age groups of boys. As adults we tend to group them all roughly together in development but the boys are extremely aware of even a year's difference in age and experience. I am sure that any standards that you might think you have in these "reviews" is greatly overshadowed by the confrontational attitudes of the boys being put in this situation.(This message has been edited by KA6BSA)

I am in the middle of discussions with our SM concerning Scoutmaster Conferences. He has recently "failed" several Scouts during their conference. These boys failed because the failed to recite the signs of a heart attack and/or safety afloat. My point to the SM was that he is adding to the requirement by making a SM Conference pass fail. Please correct me if I'm wrong but the requirement states that the boy participate in a Scoutmaster conference.

Thanks

Paul