Hello from Ocean Park Washington

My name id Ed and I am working with the Western Washington branch of ARRL ( http://wwa.arrl.org/ )to re-introduce Jamboree On The Air (JOTA)to the Scouts in Western Washington. This October will be the 54th annual event connecting Scouts world wide.

I have been out of Scouting for several years and I had never heard of JOTA for the Girls Scouts. I have only been in Amateur Radio for the past three years. Can I get feedback on what you know about JOTA and if you participate.

73 Ed, K7WAT

K7WAT --

Welcome to the Forums!

Yes, I participated in JOTA as a Scout, and last year, during our University of Scouting, I set-up EchoLink for Scouts to participate (since no local hams were present).

73s, AJ4RB

Thanks Ron AJ4RB for your contact. Can you or anyone for that matter tell me what happened to Ham radio in the Scouts. There use to be a strong connection. There is still a need for emergency communicators and preparedness. I would think that the Scouts would be promoting all that Amateur Radio offers. This year Jamboree-On-The-Air is celebrating 54 years yet so far I am finding litter knowledge or enthusiasm by the Scouting community. I think the only way to make meaningful progress is to understand what has changed.