Coin Collecting MB Question

Requirement 1a of the Coin Collecting MB states to "Collect a type set of U.S. coins of any date currently minted or in circulation. Commemorative, proof, silver, rare, or expensive coins are not needed. Have at least one coin from each mint in your type set."

First I am a CC MB counselor counseling my first Scout for CC. For numismatics (coin collectors) the word "type" refers to a coin's basic distinguishing design. An example is, "Lincoln Type, Memorial Obverse, 1959 to date." From this I would interpret that to meet this requirement a Scout could have 1961, 1964D and 1968S Lincoln cent (i.e. any date, one coin from each mint). However, the CC MB phamplet states that "In collecting your United States type set to meet requirement 1a, you will need to save one coin of each design and denomination that is now being used as money. In this set include at least one coin made at each of the three mints now in operation." That would mean I would need a Lincoln cent, Jefferson Nickel, Roosevelt dime, Statehood Quarters, Kennedy Half Dollar and Susan B. Anthony or Sacagawea dollar coin (depending on date).

While the intent is to collect multiple types of coins (if one goes with the merit badge pamphlet) the requirements face value is met by collecting only a "type set", i.e. cent, nickel, dime, etc. Am I interpreting this correctly? For now, I am requiring the Scouts to collect the multiple denominations for any date as long as all denominationsa are covered and the three mints too. Comments?

Back when I earned the merit badge, the requirement stated that the set had to be dated the same as the year of the boy's birth. I interpret the current requirement to mean that the boy may choose any year and collect all types of coins minted for that year, but I could be wrong. It seems too confusing any other way.