Help!! What do I do with this?

Ditto. Our camp requires a "swim check" for ALL scouts, scouters and staff, otherwise, they are restricted to the "non-swimmer" areas. No discussion, no debate. As a BSA Lifeguard counsellor, I usually work at the pool every summer as my "cheerful service" to the camp helping out where needed, so I get "extra-special" scrutiny from the staff...and if I have any flaw in my stroke or float, I hear about it! A lot of good-natured ribbing!

Not knowing this person, I can only presume she fits the "pushy parent" profile. In my experience, reason and explanation of the aims/methods doesn't work on these people...you might as well be speaking Sanskrit. They already know the system, becuase they're skilled at circumventing it by finding the weak link in the chain (youth leader who's easily intimidated, overworked camp counselors who are too busy to notice, non-confrontational registered leader who needs more backbone, etc.)

What does work, in my experience, is ensuring that all registered Scouts/Scouters who are associated with advancement are all on the same page, and adhering to common standards. Nobody should think they're going it alone. And, attempts to corrupt the system by anyone (pushy parent, pushy scout, corner-cutting counselor, whomever), should be rapidly shared with other registered Scouts/Scouters who are responsible for advancement. You can bet your bottom dollar that the pushy mom who doesn't get what she wants from one person, will quickly seek out another target -- forewarned is forearmed.

Good luck -- got a cranky old unit commissioner you can call in just to have a direct talk with this person?

KS

So, how does the scout feel about his "accomplishments"? Does he really think he has earned his badge and ranks? I'll bet he doesn't. Maybe a conference with the SM and troop guide will help the boy see where he might have short-changed himself. He may even offer to work to correct the situation first. Getting him on board for remediation is a big advantage for his ultimate success.

We have a scout in our troop, now an Eagle, who has pushy parents. Very nice guy, cooperative, willing to work within the parameters of scouting. His parents are not - still. Parents are up in arms because scout is only going to get a bronze palm before he "ages out", even though he has enough MBs and time in to have received three more. Problem is he never came for a BOR until this month. He was reminded by me at least twice since January that BORs were required for palms. Parents are demanding a special committee meeting to decide in their favor, regardless of what the requirements are. Won't happen because as KoreaScouter said, everyone who has anything to do with advancement are on the same page. The only successful, minimally stressful, way to deal with pushy folks that I have experienced is to stick by the book and make sure that all others in advancement do as well.