Alabama Scouter just described exactly how the Easy Chair adult should work around scouts and adults. I found training adults to do boy run was a lot harder and more frustrating than the scouts. Thorns and roses in the BSA was encouraged for the adults, not the scouts.

Backpacking in the mountains is the ideal environment for scouts to learn self discipline, accountability and team work. I teach in scout leader training that the clock is a much better teacher of decision making discipline and accountability than the nagging adults because the clock tells the scout when he has failed without the adult even being near. The afternoon mountain showers work exactly the same way. If the scouts dont get up early and get moving, they will be hiking and setting up their next camp in the rain. If the rains have thunder, they will likely not even reach their next camp. Their gear will get wet and dinner will likely not go well. The one hitch to that clever scheme is the adult who forces the scouts to act on his or her own time clock. Many scouters dont view boys as inexperienced adults, they are instead seen as children who dont take time seriously. Untrained Scouters by nature dont trust that boys can learn from their actions, so they replace natures teacher of being uncomfortable with preemptive direction and rob the scouts of their lesson. The adult is a much better encourager of change when they as just another member of the team standing face to face with the crew leaders in the rain asking for a new plan for tomorrow.

I believe there is a no better method of team building and patrol method than mother nature. Laser tag is a close second, but that is a different discussion. When allowed, camping in the back country with mother nature forces leaders to emerge and makes followship noble. Everyone works for the better of the group. Back country treks develop lean confident teams who come home knowing they can conquer the world, but the adults have to let it happen.

Barry

This is a great thread. I've been a Scouter for many years but am a rookie SM with a new troop. Except for three scouts, the rest are still working on Tenderfoot. So I'm spending a lot of time trying to train scouts and dad's.

Baden Powell was quoted as saying the job of a scoutmaster is to do as little as possible. I try to repeat that line often and let the boys figure stuff out for themselves. So far they are doing admirably. Our SPL and ASPL are pretty good though. My son is SPL and is great at teaching skills. His meeting planning could be better but he's awesome in the field.