Welcome Kits for new Boy Scouts

If you can put together a basic SOP booklet for the troop, plus a page for contact info, it would not only help your new scouts and parents, but everyone else as well.

If they do a crossover ceremony for them, the receiving troop usually sends someone to welcome them into the new troop. Usually a Patrol Leader for new scouts, the Senior Patrol Leader, or the Scoutmaster. When the boy bridges over, the troop member will present them with things like a troop neckerchief or a Scout handbook.

I put together a folder (cheap pocket folders they run on sale at school supply time 5 cents) and include a boy scout application, troop calendar, welcome letter, sample permission slip w/packling list, summer camp info, cold weather camping tips, medical form, troop policy, and contact sheet.

I pass them out to the prospective new scouts in Jan. as we do crossover in Feb. We (SM (hubby) and I) go to the Webelo meeting in Jan. and talk to Webelos and their parents about what is in the packet. The Webelos have already been out to troop meetings in Oct. as we do a campout and skill race for the Webelos in Nov. and invite them to come and practice for several weeks. This is designed for the AOL requirement. The troop invites several other troops and their Webelos to participate. Every participant gets an award of some type.

Promote upcoming activities. Promote camping. Explain how scouts pay thier own way through fundraisers. Explain how Boy Scout advancement works. Promote what your scouts love to do.

Please feel free to email me and I can send you any of the handouts I do, most are in Word.

Good luck with your new scouts.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm in the process of putting together something similar for our troop (the open house is coming up Monday evening). My package is a lot like what kbandit describes, except for maybe a Troop policy sheet (if I were to describe troop policy it would be along the lines of "we're so laid back, don't sweat the small stuff").

I've asked our DE for some kind of glossy brochure if he has something, but other than that, I have a handout from a BSA link:

http://www.scouting.org/media/FactSheets/~/media/legacy/assets/media/factsheets/02%20503.ashx

I also have a contact sheet, with a brief description of the troop, a calendar page, an application and a medical form. I'd like to add a summer camp page, if I get that done by Monday, and I'm also working on a uniform/equipment 1-pager that also lists sources, such as the local scout shops and online sources. All in a folder, with a nice label on the front. I probably paid $40 out of pocket for supplies and photocopying.

I had my wife take a look at it, and she was the one that suggested the uniform and equipment page ("parents want to know what they'll need to buy" -- and how much it will cost them), but I also don't want to give away the fact that when we do a crossover for AoL-ers, we'll be giving them a handbook and a troop neckerchief, and after they join, a couple of troop t-shirts. So my page is kind of vague about that.

The past couple of years, there have been Troop adults (along with their scouts) involved at crossovers at B&G banquets. I'm going to be suggesting that the SPL drive that this year -- we'll see what happens.

Take this thought one step further. Once they join the troop, the boys need a method to track their activites.

Sure the handbook has a spot to record the first 10 activities. How many of the boys know to use it?

I create a folder for each new boy. The folder has thier name on the front cover along with the BSA logo. The first page lists the meeting place, troop number, patrol name, patrol members, and the adult advisors for their patrol. Next is a contact list of patrol members. Next is a spread sheet with fields for Date, Location, Activities, Service Hours, Nights Camping. Next are a few plastic sheets for storing baseball cards available from the office supply store. This gives them a place to store their rank advancement, blue cards, totin chit, fireman chit, etc cards. After every COH they can add the cards and after every outing, they can record the basic information to the hardcopy spread sheet.

When they sit for the first skills check, I ask them if they have filled out the spread sheet. Most have not. Then they understand the need and start to track things.

At Eagle time, they have all their blue cards and other documentation in one location. Easy to fill out the Eagle application.

AnaMaria, I agree, but at the same time, I'd rather have the crossover be a surprise -- I'm counting on the idea that most of these Webelos parents aren't going to put too much thought into the transition prior to the crossover ceremony (and this is judging from our own Pack parents -- they're all fairly "last minute" kind of people).

In fact, I'm guessing that not many of them will realize that their new AoL-ers will be immediately able to come to troop meetings, camp with the troop, and get set for summer camp in July. I don't think the reality will have set in yet. Part of that comes from, around here, the idea that Cub Scouts has been tied to an academic year. They're probably thinking "end of the school year" or maybe "next fall", while we are fully prepared to accept new scouts immediately. No more academic year for us.

In one training session I've been in, which I borrowed for one of my own training sessions, is this statement: first meeting, first outing, first year. In other words, be sure to set up a good program to draw them in for the first meeting, a first outing as soon as possible (some troops like to do that the first weekend after the first meeting), and First Class in the first year (I subscribe more to the "first year, more or less" thinking that if a new scout can get to First Class by his second summer at summer camp, he's doing really well, and may even have a couple of merit badges by then.

I may call a few parents (it is a limited bunch this year, maybe six new scouts, I'd guess; and my youngest will be one of the crossovers) to let them know about the handbook, and the neckerchief, etc. We'll see how that goes.

Guy

• 1 month later...

WE do pretty much what all the other posters have added. One thing we have added this year is name tags. WE get the names of the boys joining the Troop before hand and use those leather hanging tags from either scout shop or now available from Tandy leather. Once they cross over we put the tag on them right away and tell them it is prat of their "offical" uniform and not to remove it except for washing. Our Troop is large 70+ and we just got 20 new crossovers. Name tags are a must!!

An article appeared in Scouter magazine back in May, 2004 on new Scout Patrols. Part of the article covered "Red Folders" that were handed out to new families:

Inside the 'Red Folder'

An information packet for new Scouts and their parents would seem like a commonsensical idea. However, in many years as an active Scouter, I have seen more troops without a quality package than with one.

Troop 1113's Parent's Guide, referred to as the "red folder," ranks among the best I've seen. Updated every year, it includes the following:

Troop history, program, and meeting schedule; information on registration fees and dues, uniforms, and handbooks; equipment check-in/check-out procedures; transportation basics; advancement plan; money-earning projects; adult leadership; a list of suggested personal camping gear; and miscellaneous policies and practices.

A new-Scout buyer's guide, including the location of the council Scout shop and other official BSA Supply distributors, as well as other area camping supply stores and places to get equipment repaired, and more.

Recommended personal equipment for troop monthly camp-outs.

Phone and e-mail list for members.

Full-year calendar for troop activities.

New-Scout checklist of required forms.

Monthly camp-out permission forms.

Summer camp information sheet, with dates, location, and cost of the next summer camp, and a description of the camp's first-year Scout program.

Health forms.

Troop Resource Survey (BSA No. 34437) to learn of talents, hobbies, and interests of parents, to help with merit badges or other troop activities. (A copy of this survey is found in the BSA publication Troop Program Resources, No. 33588A.)

http://www.scoutingmagazine.org/issues/0405/a-year.html

I'm putting ours together, as well. It won't be as detailed as the "Red Folder" but will have maybe half the items. We are about to experience some big growing pains, so I'm hoping this new Scout folder will help us get off to a good first step.

A bunch of great ideas. In the past I have seen troops that I was personally associated with give things like red shoulder loops (not the butt ugly green ones we have now), handbook, neckerchief. We would give out troop information from the time they started Webelos 2, so that they and their parents would be familiar with what was going on in the troop.

rdcrisco,

Thanks for posting this. It gave me the plan to produce a welcome kit for the six crossovers we have coming in two weeks. We had a couple kids slip through the cracks last year, partially because we didn't get them engaged quickly enough, so this welcome kit will be very useful.