First, headache is gone.

I have several balaclavas, grabbed the hat caues it was handy, once in the tent I was too stubburn to go back in the house and get something else, got what I deserved. On the campout will use a bala or army pile cap under a hooded sweatshirt, it felt like I was loosing 3/4s of my body heat either from my head or from heating up the air I was breathing. after that would add the 1.5 thick thermarest on top the other one. Got my eyes pealed for closed cell pads 25 inches wide, I keep slipping off the 20 inchers, just too narrow for my active sleeping style.

To be honest, I thought it was 15 deg above when I went out, musta missread the thermometer, that I did okay at 20 deg colder is a comfort. Didn't spend that much time asleep, 4 or 5 hours but I always rest up better outside.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At our Troop campout in Jan. we had a good number of Scouts signed up, but the forecasr deteriorated quite a bit between our Troop meeting and the weekend. We had 5 Scouts show up. The weather wasn't as tough as forecast (it got to 0, but no wind). I printed the following in our Feb. Troop newsletter:

We few, we frozen few, we band of brothers;

For he to-day who freezes with me

Shall be my brother; be he ne'er so vile,

This day shall gentle his condition;

And Scouts at home now-a-bed

Shall think themselves accurs'd they were not here,

And hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks

That froze with us upon Frozen Crispin's Day.

(loosely adapted from Henry V with apologies to W. Shakespeare)

Tried to edit my posting but it won't let me.

Camped out with the exact same gear last night, wore the hat I lost track of, but did take out a balaclava just incase. 20 deg when I went out and this morn it was 30, quite comfy this time and I didn't have supper either. This tent still has some condensation proablems, edge of sleeping bag was wet from my breath too. Not to shabby for a bunch of gear never intended for winter camping.