Just when you think....

I have this new scout... 10 yrs old... single mom, Dad not involved... this kid is a 'challenge' to say the least. He is a 'story teller', fabricating tales of his deeds... and a kid I have to spend a lot of time with keeping him in line with the Scout Law... ok, you get the point...

Tonight I get a call from him around 9pm. His mom did not pick him up from football practice at the local high school, he could not contact her via cell phone... so he walks over to the nearest home, and calls ME!

Just when you think you're not helpful or tolerant, you get a call like this!

It actually brought a tear to my eye...

So Scouters... keep up the good work.. your effort is ALWAYS rewarded!

It's the little things that make this all worthwhile, isn't it?

I got an EMail recently from one of my former scouts who is stationed in Afghanistan (after spending 11 months in Iraq). All he said was "Just wondering how summer camp went this year? I really miss that" Here is someone risking his life every minute of the day and he remembers that we were at summer camp and was thinking of us.

Dale

"Just when you think you're not helpful or tolerant, you get a call like this"

Thank You.

Thank you for the reality check.

This little Lad doesn't care if the BSA is looked upon as being too far to the right or the left. He more than lightly doesn't care what Scout Executives get paid. He just sees Scouts and Scouting for what it is, what it really is.

Eamonn.

Oh yes, I picked him up and dropped him off right at his doorstep.

Hey Eagle90... how cool is that!

Hey Eamonn.. you are right on the mark.

I swear I sound like a sappy nut, but returning to Scouting has given me such a wonderful purpose in life, its astounding to me.

... so ok... here is my story... I'll keep it short....

My son was never interested in Cubs, so I didn't push him... I was too busy with work anyway, how could I make the time? Then my dad passed away one month after 9/11.... he was a retired firefighter by the way... and myself, my brother ( we are both Eagle Scouts, my Dad was Cubmaster, Scoutmaster, Committee Chair.. etc... my mom was a Den mother,....) , and my sisters all spoke at the funeral... we all had our special experiences with my Dad, but my brother spoke so eloquently about how his Scouting experience with my Dad, that my son took notice... he came to me two weeks later and said he wanted to join up... so we did... so he's a Star scout in 2 years and SPL, and I stepped too close to the whirlpool... so now you know... and THAT'S the real story! :-)

I just love this stuff!