A Selfish Servant..

At times people have said that I need to lighten up and not take things so much to heart.

At times in the forum we tease Bob White about being a stickler for wanting people to use the "Troop that I serve." And not "My Troop"

Up until I got involved with the new Wood Badge course, I never really paid much attention to the idea of servant leadership.

Looking back at my Scouting "Career", I now see that even in the early days as a Sixer (Denner) back in Cub Scouting and all the way through Boy Scouting and Venture Scouting (Yes that was the correct name in the UK.)It was all about servant leadership.

I did lose my way for a while when I became a Scoutmaster and did allow my ego to become the driving force for the Troop and the activities of the Troop, but managed to see what I was doing wasn't right. Not because of servant leadership, but because I seen that what I was doing wasn't the way things should be done.

I never wanted to be a Scoutmaster!! In fact I was very happy doing my thing as an Assistant Cubmaster when I was asked /invited to return to my old Troop (Mine because I had been a Scout in it!)

Still for the nearly 12 years I was Scoutmaster, I had a ball, I had a lot of fun. I really enjoyed the other adults and loved working with the Scouts in the Troop. While I was aware that I was the leader and aware that the buck stopped with me. I never seen myself as the big white chief. We were all a big group of friends: The other leaders and myself were the best of friends. We knew just about everything there was to know about each other. The Scouts and their parents were also part of this friendly gathering. Some Lads over time became almost like our own kids. While I never forgot that they weren't mine, we had and in some cases still have a bond that I don't think will ever be broken. Maybe love is the right word?

When I moved across the pond I thought my Scouting days were over. I hadn't counted on being shanghaied, to serve on a committee. I never wanted to be a Cubmaster, but again it seemed that I was left with little choice, the same can be said about being a District Commissioner (The one we had moved away) Or District Chairman (The one we had didn't like the SE and up and quit).

I was overjoyed to be asked to serve as Council Training Chairman and have over the years been honored and privileged to serve on Wood Badge courses.

Still behind all of this there has always been me saying that when it stops being fun I'll quit. If this isn't selfish, I don't know what is.

I still think Scouting is fun. I like the people that Scouting attracts. We share the same values, maybe not in the same order, but the same values.

Over the years I have been recognized with different awards, beads and knots. While these are nice they mean less to me than the friends that Scouting has made available to me.

Working with the Jamboree Troop at both the pre-jambo meetings and the event itself did make me see that I really would like to be back working with our youth members again.

Cub Scouts are a lot of fun, working with a good group of Den Leaders is very rewarding. I really enjoy watching Webelos Scouts as they take that first tiny step to becoming Boy Scouts. Working with a PLC, seeing the members take on real responsibility and hearing them as they make their case for what their Patrol wants and needs gives true meaning to them being the future leaders of our community and nation.

Right now I'm a little unsure what I should be doing!! Selfish as it may be I think that having served for a little over 11 years at the District level, it is time for me to move on. Not to leave them in the lurch, but hopefully kind of fade away.

I see that we in our area are not doing a very good job of holding the interest of our older Scouts and they want to try something new. While I'm sure given more time I could look for and select someone better qualified and more able than I am. Still I keep telling myself that time is a luxury that we don't have. But deep down I know that part of me; that selfish part, wants to go back and see if once again the bond that was so very special can be given new life, with new youth. While I try and see if I can meet a new challenge.

The big hope is that when it does happen I will be able to post something that isn't about me and doesn't use the word "I " as often as this posting has!!

Eamonn.

Eamonn, I understand completely. When my eldest son graduated from high school 3 months ago I got a chance to see a few of the boys from his Cub Scout den. It brought back a lot of great memories and I too think (wistfully) about returning to Cub Scouting when my youngest son moves on from the troop. My path isn't clear. If he gravitates toward Venturing I suppose I'll feel a responsibility to move with him (and selfishly spend more time with him). However; I also feel a "tug" from our OA lodge as well as from the council (they're doing the tugging). I know I can find any number of ways to help the program and enjoy myself no matter where I end up. The only thing certain (as with you) is that eventually I will move on.

I wish you well with your challenges. From your posts, you've always struck me as a calm, level-headed, clear thinker. I have to believe you'll do well (and serve others) in whatever choice you make.