Reading the postings about the Jamboree,it seems to me that there is some kind of expectation that at the Jamboree we Scoutmasters hand over the safe keeping of our Scouts to some group of unknown, unseen National types.

This is not the case.

I never for one minute gave up or handed over the welfare of the Scouts that I was serving to anyone.

Sure the parents of the Lads that attended the Jamboree knew that there would be times when their son would be doing adventurous activities, where there was an element of risk.

I however knew what the activities were and I knew the Scouts in my charge.I am very capable of telling a Scout that he isn't allowed to do something. I never ever enjoy telling him, but safety will always come first.

I will never ever pass the buck. The parents of the Lads have entrusted me with their son.

The buck starts here and ends here.

While I am in no way a "Mother Hen", I take the buddy system very seriously and I keep an eye on each and every Scout. I take every opportunity to talk with them and make sure that they are OK, and if they do have a problem we work on fixing it.

From the time we got on the bus, till the time I delivered them back to their parent they were my Lads.

Lord knows I like to laugh and joke around and I really do think that Scouting has to be fun, still a Lad that is hurt, be it because of dehydration or because his scout shorts are chapping his legs isn't having fun.

We do what we can to train them before any event, we at times go into "Preach Mode", Still we are ever vigilant for the well being of the Lads that we serve.

I have no problem saying NO to anyone and when it comes down to looking after the Scouts in my care, no one is ever going to over ride my authority.

I of course keep within the rules and follow the G2SS, not because I'm some kind of book thumper, but because it works.

I like to think that both the parents and the Scouts know and are aware that I am looking out for them and their best interests and that I'm not being the green meanie out of spite or because I enjoy it. They also know that I am not going to allow anyone to prevent me doing what is best for their Son.

Eamonn.