nephew with crying fits?

My nephew is in my den. He is a little slower then other kids his age, and sometime has crying fits where he will refuse to listen. He has been held back a year in school (he is in first grade again) but since his cousin is a wolf we aloud him to join our den. His mom and dad are going though a divorce and this may add to his crying fits.

Our Fall Encampment is coming up in three weeks. His mother and father (my brother) are to busy to make it to the campout (although my brother is not to busy to attend and all day concert this weekend). Needless to say this is the kind of kid that scouting can really help.

I was thinking about asking his mother if he could go with me, but was afraid of the crying fits that he has. I will have a lot of reasonability that weekend with leading the pack at the campout, my scout, and my three year old son tagging along.

I know this kid would really love going camping and he really needs it, even if it is just to get away for a little while because of all the stress the STUPID ADULTS in his life are putting on this boy.

If it were me, this kid would go. I would ask some other adults to help me with my personal responsibilities and plan in some extra time to take him. I found an adult who has grown kids and used to be a Scout leader to become my assistant and it allows me to do more things as she is a friend of the family and helps with my kids too. Scouting needs kids and some kids need scouting more than others. The den may be just what this child needs. I would also give some more responsibilites to him to make him feel important. Also plan a quiet place where you can take him if he needs to calm down. Out of sight so the others don't pick on him later (don't forget two deep leadership so make it in sight of another adult {didn't want BW after me}).

I have a scout with a bad family history and a bad school history but with me he has always been as close to perfect as a boy can be. He needed extra attention at first but now he is a prime example of good behavior and he always has a hug for me (some days I need one too).

Cajun

Uniforming my pack one boy at a time.

Uniform Closet

c/o Kristi Cantor

PO BOX 1111

Kodak TN 37764

zippie,

As the leader of the event you are restricted by the BSA rules from supervising any children other than your own.

Cajuncody,

I would have no reason to come after you. It is not my rule, I have no authority over you. The rule violated would be the BSA'a and they would not come after you either. They would either remind you the rule and your responsibility to follow it...or they would permanently remove you from membership in the BSA.(This message has been edited by Bob White)

Plus, per the GTSS, since you are not his parent nor his legal guardian, you cannot sleep in the same tent as your nephew.

I feel sorry for your nephew. I feel sorry for any boy whose parents cannot "find the time" for such an important thing to a young Cub Scout as a scout campout. It is very very sad.

I had a boy in my den whose parents were almost always too busy to attend den meetings or other den activities. Most of the time it was because they had to attend their daughter's dance activities. This fall they dropped him from Cub Scouts altogether. I wonder if he will ever tell his parents how it feels to live in his sister's shadow.

With regard to the crying fits, have his parents ever "found the time" to discuss this with a professional, such as a psychologist? He may have a yet undiagnosed issue that could be addressed if only it was diagnosed. My son has Asperger's Syndrome. He also had "meltdowns", though they are lessening as he ages and as we work with him. Once we knew why, we could address them.

Of course, he could just be screaming for love and attention from his parents.

BW:

I didn't mean you would "come after me" , it was mearly a phrase meaning that I wanted to make sure I covered BSA rules so that you didn't have to point out my error. :-)

I may have misunderstood, I thought this was more of a family camp type thing that allowed families to be taken care of by extened family. Mayhaps in covering myself from one error I commited another ;-)

Cajun

Family camp is still a "Pack" activity.

Zippie wrote "I will have a lot of reasonability that weekend with leading the pack at the campout,"

If you are the leader you can only supervise your children.

BW

(This message has been edited by Bob White)

BW

The event is a council level event but I will be leading our pack, as the CM is not going to able to attain.

FScouter

Yea the not nice person just called and asked if I could cover for him at work so he could go to concert with his girlfriend. When I ask him about the campout he blew me off. I'm so angry at my little brother I could spit Fire. (This message has been edited by a staff member.)

Zippie,

Here is an idea for you, try getting one of your older cubs to be a kind of peer mentor to your nephew. He could get him more involved in the activities with other cubs and give him a chance to forget about his parents for a while. I had a similiar problem in a pack years ago and an older Webelos, who was mature for his age, did wonders with a tempermental kid that even the den leaders wanted nothing to do with. Today, years later, that former problem child is currently working on his eagle and he is still good friends with that former Webelos. Just a thought, good luck.

The rules are what they are, and, you have responsibilities with your son and the pack. You cannot take this boy. Esspecially since he has the potential to be a high maintanence kid.

Additionally, arent there restrictions on Cub Scout overnights? I cant find the dates, but something tells me that CS can not camp overnight from Oct. 15- April 1. Can someone check this?