Help...I am having problems motiviating my guys

Beaver - Our troop is in a similar state, and I know exactly what you mean. We're closing in on two years now. We've had three planning sessions. Here's a synopsis.

Planning session #1 (troop was 3 months old) - Hey guys, what do you want to do? Blank stares. An hour or so with very little to show for it. I share the blame... no, I own all the blame. They had no experience to draw from, and I didn't know what I was doing either.

Planning session #2 (troop was 1 year old). This time it was just the PLC. I brought in some pre-packaged ideas and let them choose. I still led the planning, but they felt like they chose the activities. It went reasonably well.

Planning session #3 (troop 1 yr & 8 months). This time it was the PLC. However, before the session several things took place. The ASPL put together a survey of all activities since the troop began and put together a spreadsheet and graph of the results. The PLs had two patrol meetings where they generated ideas. The SPL led the discussion, up until they got lost. They didn't know what to do after they got ideas on paper. I stepped in and helped lead the translation of ideas to the calendar. I think they learned, and next time I hope I get to stay in my seat!

The strange part is now they generated LOTS of ideas. The problem is that at least 1/2 of the ideas are not practical. At least not for us at this time (California, Colorado, Hawaii, etc.). Lots of good long term ideas, but it was hard to reel them in to think about what was practical for next year.

Nevertheless, in the end, I think we got a good plan together. I'm looking forward to a great year!

>>The strange part is now they generated LOTS of ideas. The problem is that at least 1/2 of the ideas are not practical. At least not for us at this time (California, Colorado, Hawaii, etc.). Lots of good long term ideas, but it was hard to reel them in to think about what was practical for next year.

• 1 month later...

I had a similar problem a few years ago. Getting the kids to make decisions was like pulling teeth. After a while, I figured out why.

It turns out that each year, our troop would do a planning session in January. Lots of ideas were generated. However, the calendar generated by the Scouts was rarely the one carried out. The SM and a couple of other adults would go through and decide "they don't really want to do that", "thats too much of a hassle", "theres another event this month that would be better for them". After a year or two, the kids knew that whatever they decided would be changed by the SM. The same went for meeting activities or meals on campouts.

Like was stated above, I had to start with pre-packaged ideas. January 2002 was the first planning session for which I was SM (I had taken over the previous February). The Scouts generated ideas after I had given them some guidelines. Out of the eleven activities they planned, ten stayed the same that year. The only one that was changed was because of a mixup in making reservations. However, the Scouts picked the alternative activity.

Now, we never have problems generating ideas. The Scouts know it is THEIR program. We also give them guidelines on planning menus and troop meetings, but they get to make their own decisions.