A Method To Our Madness

I have to own up to having not been actively involved in the Boy Scout Specific Training course for a while. I do like the course and think that the videos are really good. Having said that, I don't know why the Methods of Scouting don't get discussed in detail till near the end.

I suppose it would be possible to run a troop and not use all of the methods. I also believe that we as adults in the program need to know when to maybe lighten up on using one and "Push" one of the others. While it might be possible to not use all the methods, to not use them would to my way of thinking not be Scouting.

While I feel sure that nearly all those who visit these forums know these Methods off by heart. I thought that I would go over them and how I see them. Of course "My take" and understanding might be different then yours. When it comes to understanding things, it might be that there is no right or wrong answers. Just the way that an individual sees things. Going along these lines, it is also very lightly that each individual could use a different style of leadership in using the methods. As ever I welcome your take and your ideas. Even if I disagree with them!!

Scouting Ideals:

While it might be possible to "Skimp" on some of the methods, this is the big one. The ideals are what Scout Spirit is all about. The ideals are outlined in the Scout Oath and Law, the Scout motto and the Scout slogan.

This method defines everything that a Scout does and is.It challenges the Scout to do his best and even better then his best.

Scout Spirit is the level of commitment that the Scout has to these ideals.When we look at Scout Spirit, we look at a Scout being : trustworthy, loyal, helpful, friendly, courteous,

kind, obedient, cheerful, thrifty,brave, clean,

reverent,mentally awake, morally straight, physically fit and always prepared.

As adult leaders we need to do all that we can to help Scouts strive for the ideals, we of course accept these ideals as a challenge for ourselves and do our best to lead by example.

Patrols.

This seems to be where there is a lot of misunderstanding. A Patrol is more then just a list of names. It is a team. A team where everyone has a job to do. The Patrol offers Scouts an opportunity for real leadership. If we the adults give the Patrol Leader real authority.

Patrols are the basic unit of Scouting and are the ideal size for a group of Scouts as they work toward a common purpose or goal. Everything in Scouting can and should be done using the Patrol Method.

Our Scouts can and do learn a lot of life skills and about citizenship in a Patrol setting. He learns about making decisions. Doing things for himself and working with for and with others as well as counting on others to do their part while he does his.

Many adults are afraid to give the Patrol Leader the authority he needs to get the job done, because they think he is going to mess up. Others seem to think that once a Lad has the Patrol Leader patch on his uniform that there will be some sort of magical transformation!! It is the Scoutmasters main job to train the Patrol Leaders and be supportive of the Patrol Leaders. Some Patrol Leaders will need more support then others. This could be because of their age or because of their level of maturity.

Outdoors.

Doing stuff outdoors is what Scouting is all about. By just being a Scout the Lad will do stuff outdoors. A Scout program that doesn't have the Scouts doing activities outdoors is not much of a program. I would say that it is next to impossible to have a Scouting program without going outdoors.

Scouting isn't School.Scouts don't learn stuff by sitting in s church basement or a classroom, they learn by going outside and doing things. Fun is the fuel of Scouting. Fun is camping in the woods,hiking the trail.

This isn't rocket science. Boys have known about for years.

Advancement.

When advancement is managed correctly it is up there with the ideals of Scouting. When advancement is abused or misused it takes away from the ideals.

Put very simply Advancement give Scouts something to do, a lot of it outdoors. It offers the opportunities for the patrol to work on something as a team.

Advancement contributes to a Scouts personal growth, it provides opportunities for leadership and associations with adults

(This message has been edited by Eamonn)

I think I can explain that Eamonn. It is because the methods are now explained in detail in the pre-course to Scoutmaster Specific...New Leader Essentials. In fact the bulk of that course explores and compares the methods of the three BSA programs and how they evolve as the scout grows.

Then they are revisited in the Leader Specific courses of each program. In this District they are a regular topic of Discussion and presentation at roundatbles as a supplemental training.

This is why it is important not to skip steps in the training continuum as each course lays the groundwork for the next one.

I hope this helps,

BW

OJ used the computer and lost my page!!

As I was saying

Advancement:

Advancement in Scouting is designed to present the Scout with a big challenge, which is then broken down into bite size pieces.

Advancement is where a Scout learns to set goals, make plans that will help him meet these goals. He learns to motivate himself. He learns to do his best and keep trying. Along the way he will find out a lot about himself and his limitations and find ways of overcoming them.

Personal Growth.

A lot of times a Scout will find himself facing unfamiliar situations and in areas that he is unfamiliar with and will learn how to cope in these situations. This is part of his personal growth. Scouts learn personal growth through experiences and through Advancement. He will find his own self confidence. He will challenge himself, moving from "I can't." to looking for ways to say "I can,"

As his confidence grows he will look for greater responsibilities and challenges. He also learns how to make real decisions.

Adult Association.

Kids look to adults for guidance. Children look up to their parents. From their parents they get the example to live by. From teachers they get knowledge. We as adults in Scouting are the living example of the ideals of Scouting. We help the Scout with his personal growth and his self confidence.

At times we adults are the safety net that makes Scouting work. We are there to offer the support and guidance needed to make the methods of Scouting work. Working with caring adults Scouts learn how to make their own way through the adult world.

Leadership Development.

Scouts learn to lead themselves.

The Adults in Scouting are not there to lead the youth. They are there to guide the youth through the process of learning for themselves.

This starts in the Patrol, where the chose their own leader. As a Scout becomes more experienced his opportunities for leadership increase.

Leadership in Scouting includes making decisions and guiding the troop and the patrol.Planning the program, running the meetings. Scouts learn to lead by leading.

They learn to lead by following their chosen leaders.

Uniform.

This is where this all started!!

Uniform is an outward sign of a Scouts commitment to the ideals of Scouting. It shows that he accepts the ideals of Scouting and is willing to live by them.

Eamonn.(This message has been edited by Eamonn)

I did know that Bob.

I think that the new leader coming in for his first training is a little over whelmed with all the information that we throw at him.

I would love to see the methods at the very start of the specific course. That way the trainers could stress after each session how, where and what method has been used.

Still that is just an opinion of one - Me!!

Eamonn

Eamonn & BW - just an observance about the methods. I've seen many Scouters get hung up on the Uniform but then go ahead and throw out Patrol method. The same SMs who want to make the uniform mandatory, consistently chop off at the knees any attempt at building up patrol identify and spirit.

When taking Strictly for Scoutmasters training at PTC this summer, it was emphasized that "all mehtods are equal", that is ideals were no more important than adult association, uniform no more important than the patrol method, etc. Before the methods were discussed a room full of SMs were asked how they would camp/eat with various combinations of Scouts from different patrols (ex. 2 Eagles, 6 Ravens, 2 Cobras and 6 Badgers). The vast majority of SMs started combining patrols with few numbers. Patrol identity goes in the toilet IMO when that happens.

Wow Acco,

You have set the little gray cells into overdrive. I have always held the ideals of Scouting above everything.

I agree that a Patrol is a Patrol and should stay that way, no matter what.

IMOHO, I think that Advancement is the method that gets the most abuse?

I think I can see where the wise people at PTC are coming from. I think they are saying this is a package deal.

Have give this some thought.

Eamonn

The methods of the scouting programs are what make each unique from the others and scouting unique fromall other programs.

Think of them as ingredients in recipes. Change an ingredient and you have a different dish or no dish at all. But the only way to get the specific result you want is by following the recipe exactly.

The Methods af the BSA programs work exactly the same way.

The egg in the cake mix is no more or less important than the flour. Each can stand alone but when mixed with the other ingredients in the right proportion create the right batter.

So depending on the flavor of the unit, while no method is more important, the proportion of the use of the methods may vary.

Not all the same methods are used in all the programs. But as all the programs are age appropriate, to make a big deal about this would be splitting hairs.

I have to admit that I have always held Scouting Ideals above all the others and Acco40 has got me thinking.

It could be that I have seen so many units that choose to make one method seem more important or choose not to use one that I have become confused. We have one Troop in the District, that rarely goes camping other then to attend Summer Camp. The Patrols are just lists of names. No PLC meetings, poor uniforming and all they seem to do is work on Merit Badges. The Church that charters them seems happy enough. The boys in the Troop seem happy with what they are getting and the parents seem happy.

Everyone seems happy, but I don't see what they are doing as Scouting. I'm not sure what it is but it isn't Scouting. I could tell lots of stories about Troops that don't use the methods and yet still have the idea that what they are doing is Scouting. Of course when you talk to them about this all you ever hear is that we have always done it this way.

Eamonn

Units have lifecycles as leaders come and go. At some points in a units history the deliver a scouting program. Other times, as you have described, they simply do things in a scout uniform and call it scouting. As you and I know there is a big difference.

As far as "traditions" all to often it has been my observation that in scouting "tradition" is a code word for "we have done it wrong for so long we have come accept it as right".

Not to say there aren't some fine traditions, but many forget that the program is nearly one hundred years old but in the life of a unit whatever they have done more than 3 times is called "tradition". :)

BW(This message has been edited by Bob White)

I agree with the idea that Troops and most units in Scouting be they packs, districts or whatever do go through cycles.

I think that KS said that he had inherited a Troop where uniforming wasn't a problem. I don't think any of us would question why the Scouts have opted to do this we are just happy that they do wear it.

Beaver,has said that because of the low numbers in the new troop that he serves there is at times disruptive behavior that needs to be addressed. The lack of Scouts makes using the Patrol Method difficult and holding a PLC almost impossible.

In this case the adult leaders will have to "Lean" a little harder on some of the other methods.

I wholeheartedly believe that these methods can and do work. At times making them work is not the easiest way of doing things. Sometimes we say what the heck and do something that the Patrols could and should be doing because it is a lot less hassle. Some times we go ahead and plan this great trip that we are sure everyone will enjoy without going to the PLC. Worse still we get upset when everybody doesn't enjoy it or it turns out to be a flop - After all the work that we put in for them ungrateful Scouts!! Yes believe me I have heard stuff like that.

I have to admit to being a little jealous of Acco. I would love to take that course.

I am thinking that trying to put one method above the others is like asking a Scout which Scout Law is the most important. Still I can' help thinking that the ideals has to be top of the list.

Eamonn

Nice food for thought Barry. I know I've lost a lot of Webelos parents, when visiting our troop because when discussing advancement I tell them my primary goal as SM is to teach their son leadership skills, not make sure they advance to Eagle.

I agree that we adults "Grow Into" The methods. My great hope is that the up and coming guys get it a lot quicker then I did.

I suppose we have all met the Scout Leader who thinks that all Scouts should be able to do whatever and thinks that a Scout who can't has no business being a Scout. While I have to admire them for the skill that they have, I do question how good a Scoutmaster they will be. Of course I don't say this out loud.

There has been a couple of forum members who have posted that they see their role in Scouting as their Ministry. While I respect them and am trying to understand them. I have never seen what I do as anything that noble. I joined this outfit to have fun. I was 8 years old and loved playing games with a group of kids my age. Sure we did the other stuff but I stayed in because it was fun. As I grew older I stayed in because it was fun, adventure and it challenged me. I became a leader not because I thought I owed anyone any sort of debt. I just wanted the kids in the area to have the chance of having as much fun as I had. As a young Leader I never gave the methods of Scouting a thought. We just done stuff because we always done stuff. Uniform was expected this expectation led to it being the norm. We had always done stuff as patrols so here was no need to change. It did take me a few years to really understand that giving the Patrol Leaders real authority, meant more then having them carry out my orders /wishes. They were supporting me. Not me supporting them. There is a heck of a difference. Adult Association wasn't hard we had a lot of active ASM's. I did need to do a lot of growing up to ensure that I was the adult. When I first became a Leader I tried really hard to be "One of the boys." I tried to be one of them. They didn't need that they needed an adult who was a real friend, but never forgot that he was the adult.

Strange as it may sound this doesn't always have anything to do with age. I thought the world and still think the world of all the Scouts that were in the troop. I like to think that I was a good friend to all of them. As a friend and an adult I did at times have to tell them things as they were. And of course being a "Real Adult" did make having to say No a lot easier and a lo easier for them to understand.

If I had a thing it was Scout Pioneering, we did a lot of pioneering and camping. So outdoors was never a big challenge.

Looking back, Scouts from other troops would ask why our Scouts had so many Merit Badges? I can put my hand on my heart and say that we never ever worked on a Merit Badge. Our program was such that by just being in the troop and doing stuff many of the requirements were covered. The Scouts knew and understood how the Merit Badge system worked and they were encouraged to use it. Sure if a Scout needed to do something as a requirement we would bend over back-wards to do it.

The greatest pay check we get in this organization is seeing a Scout move from "I can't do that" To "I can". We see it all the time in the big things like planning a hike to the small things like getting up and doing a skit at a campfire. We as real adults are the safety net. We are there when he tries something and fails. We never ever set him up to fail, that is wrong. But not everything will always go right. Not everybody will do what you expected them to do. And yes sometimes it will rain when you leave your poncho at home. Yes lists do help. It is a shame that so many Leaders are greedy and don't want to share their Scouts. We have a whole bunch of people who are good at what they do and are willing to work with Scouts as Merit Badge Counselors, but still I talk with Eagle Scouts that earned all their MB's at Camp or "In Troop".

Leadership Development, was the method that took me a long time to come to grips with. I think my big problem was my ego. I knew best. Everything was I. Sure an outsider looking in would see an active troop, Scouts with MB's and rank advancements coming out of their was-zoo. But when it really came down to "Who is in charge?" The answer was the wrong one.

Our method of Leadership Development is as far as I know what puts us apart from other youth organizations. It takes a lot of looking in the mirror and asking the guy that you see the hard questions. Are the Scouts really in charge? Are they just using lasts years plan with a few small changes? Am I ready to be a servant leader?

Still if Scouting was to be my ministry. I would start with the ideals.

Eamonn