Recruiting Boy Scouts

Hey SM406, mind your own business. Bob White is a pompous bookthumper that loves correcting others when they "step out of line" but he can't take what he dishes out.

Hey NLD, go look up the definition of "troll," like many others on the internet you are misusing it.

fog,

You are posting to a open forum. Therefore, your post are anybody's business that cares to reply. Having made that statement and from your reply to the above posts speaks to your lack of Scout Spirit, I no longer care about or feel that you have anything of value to contribute to these forums.

SM406

I think Bob knows he is a book thumper, and I think he may even know he comes off as pompous sometimes. But he does so for a legitimate purpose, and I appreciate him being here, and would never hope he changes, even when I want to disagree with him. I do object to him being called disingenuous. Lacking in candor? Not frank? That's not the Bob White I've come to know.

I'm not so sure Mr. Fat Old Guy knows he is generally rude and inflamatory. Ignorance is often bliss. On second thought, I think I'll call him FOG. He has written enough to earn my disrespect.

No, on third thought, I think I'll just ignore him all together. Not enough value in what he has to say to wade through the rest.

Now, was there someone suggesting that other forum members don't like Bob? So far, the verdict is thumbs up for Bob, and at least one thumbs down for FOG, unless he wants to start playing nicely.

Mark

While Bob White may be, at times, some of those things that the Fat Old Guy says, who ofthe rest of us isn't also?

On top of that, when I come to this forum with questions about specific policy, insurance issues, health and safety issues, et cetera, I actually want someone pedantic, i.e. concerned with the minute details.

Bob White can be counted on, almost always, to provide the specific reg, with citation, quickly.

A lot of that other stuff? Well, Bob White is passionate about Scouting.

Thanks, BW. Keep on keeping on.

Thumbs up here.

Thumbs up for BW, thumbs down for FOG.

If you don't like the advice you get here, don't look and don't post. It achieves no purpose to get into a name calling argument with somebody on the board. This is a Scouting forum so we need to remember the Scout Law when posting.

You know Fog, you are right, we are a bunch of people you dont know, most likely will never meett and some of us may not exist. But your statement on this matter does beg the question if this is how you feel about us, why say

"And do you want to know something else, other people here agree with me"

Since that post, no one has taken your side, the response is all for Bob White. You may get a few people to agree with you, but I predict a landslide for Bob White. So, continue to post, continue to set the example to the youth who read these pages on how adults are not supposed to act, and be well.

But I would stop telling Bob how other people think unless you know them and they are willing to step up and make their views known. or not, either way, God Bless.

Recruiting...my sons were both won over to Cub Scouting with a patch! Such a simple little thing, but so appealing to them. Funny thing is: once they each joined, they cared less about the patch than the program. Another boy recruited them, so I'm in agreement with the person who said for the boys to do the recruiting. My older son was very sure he wanted to join Cubs, but he was a little unsure of what would happen in Boy Scouts. He attended the Webelos/Boy Scout trip, and he was hooked. It was the boys that really got him excited.

Permission slip... What should be included on a permission slip? I have drafted a couple different versions, but I'm not sure what is best.

Insurance... No, Bob, I didn't think you side-stepped the issue. My understanding is that policies may vary somewhat from council to council.

OGE, most people are afraid to let it be known that they have negative feelings toward anyone unless others come forward first. I've known people to privately state that they dislike and distrust someone but when it comes to making a public statement they loooove the person that they didn't trust five minutes earlier. Why? Fear. Fear of being on the outside. Fear of reprisal. Fear of being alone.

On the flip side of Bob White, there is another fellow, Mike Walton, who posts on other Scouting groups. Like Bob, Mike is very knowledgeable about Scouting, perhaps even more so since he was a professional Scouter at one time and has earned every award that Scouting has to offer. However, Walton is never pedantic or arrogant and never misrepresents what others say to make his point. Mike can quote chapter and verse of BSA policy but, this is the incredible part, he doesn't agree with it all.

I just call them as I see them.

I may be new to the BSA and to these forums, but I have to wonder if the bickering and choosing sides that is taking place is setting a good example. This thread began about recruiting, but it's now beginning to look like a popularity contest. That is something I know that our pack and our troop discourages. Most of us are part of the BSA, and that should unite us, even when we might be in disagreement over some parts of the program/policies.

Many thanks for all your ideas.

Man Of Steele, I will be calling!!

Bob White,I like the idea of the Activity.

What I was looking for was, was the best time of year.

We are trying Sept.

When might be a better time for the District to get involved.

Yes the one on one is the best way. - No Question.

But as a district we just want to help and support the Troops. They can of course tell us to stick it in our ear!!

While recruiting ought to be year round, we as a district are not that active in it.

Yes sure we can send in the Membership Committee if there is a problem and we are asked. But this is a one time deal.

Many thanks for all your ideas.

Man Of Steele, I will be calling!!

Bob White,I like the idea of the Activity.

What I was looking for was, was the best time of year.

We are trying Sept.

When might be a better time for the District to get involved.

Yes the one on one is the best way. - No Question.

But as a district we just want to help and support the Troops. They can of course tell us to stick it in our ear!!

While recruiting ought to be year round, we as a district are not that active in it.

Yes sure we can send in the Membership Committee if there is a problem and we are asked. But this is a one time deal.

(Don't Know how this came in twice.)(This message has been edited by Eamonn)

Years our council have a council wide accident insurance policy but had to give it up. There was a problem with not giving units a choice. So they went back to individual troop policy. They include Mutual of Omaha app with recharter material. Most unit do this, some don't have any but run in to trouble with a scout camp asks for proof. The LDS are self insured, by Salt Lake.

Years ago I was in the insurance biz for about 5 years. My understanding that for the accident insurance a prospective scout could most likely go to one or two meetings and be covered but if he has been going for 6 months without being registered the company could refuse coverage.

The matter of liability insurance that the council and national has is different. Accident insurance covers without finding fault, liability insurance has to do when you are (scouts in this case) at fault. This could be concerning injury to a young person in scouting or your little darlin's chopped down a hundred foot fir and destroyed a $250,000 motor home in the next campsite. There may be an issue if lumberjack was not a scout but you as Scouter is in control of him and ergo the BSA is on the hook .

The BSA stand behind us, because if it didnt we would have a hard time getting chartered partners and adult leaders.