Scout Salute - Major Dick Winters

Dick Winters, the former World War II commander whose war story was told in the book and miniseries Band of Brothers, has died.

http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2011/01/dick_winters_of_band_of_brothe.html

When teaching leadership and patrol method, I have often used his "Leadership at the Point of a Bayonet - Ten Principles for Success". It is genuine leadership and resonates what Scouts is to me.

"1. Strive to be a leader of character, competence, and courage.

2. Lead from the front. Say, Follow me! and then lead the way.

3. Stay in top physical shapephysical stamina is the root of mental toughness.

4. Develop your team. If you know your people, are fair in setting realistic goals and expectations, and lead by example, you will develop teamwork.

5. Delegate responsibility to your subordinates and let them do their jobs. You cant do a good job if you dont have a chance to use your imagination and creativity.

6. Anticipate problems and prepare to overcome obstacles. Dont wait until you get to the top of the ridge and then make up your mind.

7. Remain humble. Dont worry about who receives the credit. Never let power or authority go to your head.

8. Take a moment of self-reflection. Look at yourself in the mirror every night and ask yourself if you did your best.

9. True satisfaction comes from getting the job done. They key to a successful leader is to earn respectnot because of rank or position, but because you are a leader of character.

10. Hang Tough!Never, ever, give up."

Scout salute to a great leader and a generous,humble man.

A great American has passed.

His impact will be lasting. Band of Brothers is widely watched, and respected, crossing over to all ages and branchs of service.

My deepest respect. When taps sounds at 2200 tonight, I'll step outside and salute.(This message has been edited by desertrat77)

He was one man I truly would liked to have met and shaken his hand. Ambrose's statements at the end of the piece certainly apply to me:

Ambrose, the author of Band of Brothers, said in a 2001 BBC interview that he hopes young people say. I want to be like Dick Winters.

Not necessarily as soldiers, but as that kind of leader, that kind of man, with basic honesty and virtue and an understanding of the difference between right and wrong, Ambrose said.