Reinventing the WEBELOS Program

Interesting discussions. I like some of DeanRX's thoughts.

In addition, I think many boys are overscheduled. Their parents have them enrolled in a sport (or 2), music, afterschool care, language or religious classes, etc... The other kiddos in the family have all their own activities also.

With these boys there is little time to fully experience the scouting experiences. Coordinating calendars becomes a big problem. If the DL can't get the den together to go camping, they aren't going. Then they don't learn the skills.

And with the overscheduling the parents feel they "don't have time" to work with junior at home, or to volunteer in the scouting program (because they are so busy running the taxi-service.

I don't know about other councils and districts, but after running my district-wide survey, only 3% of my WDLs are trained.

No wonder they have issues with crossing boys into Boy Scouts, using the activity badge program, and having boys earn AoL.

Training is a first step, but also selecting WDLs who get the program. I agree that your WDLs should be of a different breed than your regular Cub Leaders. The emphasis on boy achievement outside parental involvement is key. Getting the boys to pack for themselves, camp in their own tents, etc... It all helps build the "Big Three" we're trying to teach Boy Scouts.

I think the program is fine as written, it's the implementation by the Charter Orgs that lacks.