quarter master woes and ideas

The Troop I'm with is quite large( 65+). The job of Quareter master is quite daunting if you get my drift.

We have a new QM who wants to make some changes in how things are done. I agree with his ideas but I'm going to ask if anyone here has other ideas or anything to add.

The QM wants to limit who has access to the Troop trailer to only the QM Asst. QM and the SM.

On campouts he wants to set up a table and chair at the trailer door. when the boys need something they will have to report to him and he will record who is taking what. Then the Asst. QM will get it out of the trailer. This reminds me of my first job in a machine shop and going to the tool crib.

He also wants to have set times that the trailer is open for business. In other words, don't bother me all day long, be prepared and show up once to get your stuff.

The procedure to check stuff back in would be that the items would be re checked by the QM the Asst Qm and the person returning it.

Any thoughts/ ideas are appreciated.

I concur that your QM has a handle on things.

In spite of that, I have a rather different perspective, since you are asking. This section is entitled "The Patrol Method." If your troop is that large, and your trailer is so very well equipped, wouldn't it be better to assign the necessary equipment to the patrol before a campout?  If a patrol does not check out and bring equipment, they should learn to be without it so that the next campout they will remember.  That's not to punish the boys, but making a mistake is the best way to learn. 

Short of something relating to safety, let them learn.  Our troop is not that big (any more--during the 70s-80s we were 70+ strong), so maybe I am missing some relevant logistical issues.

I like your Troop QM's procedures...very take charge and hold responsible. If you are so large as to have 65 Scouts, you might consider limiting the Scouts able to draw equipment at the designated times to the Patrol QM or a patrol member designated by the Patrol Leader as the acting Patrol QM.

Maybe the equipment could be patrol equipment, then the patrol QM picks his stuff up at the beginning of the outing and returns it at the end and the QM takes care of it the rest of the time.

I prefer a QM that works at assisting patrols rather than dictating when and where they operate. It's just a little different in the way we organize things, but I can see where the system will work as it is descrubed.

Stosh

I'm impressed, let your Quartermaster try his ideas and see how they work. Some of the ideas won't work well which is what you want because you want him to struggle in figuring out changes to make them work.

Our troop works like Stosh describes, but that is something your scouts will have to work there way toward because they don't see that kind of process right now. Forcing it now would only be the SM making his ideas work through the boys, right Stosh?

Only our Quartermaster and CC have they only keys to our trailer. Nothing goes in or out of the trailer or storage room without the Quatermaster's attention. No need for a SM to have a key, he just stands and watches. And from my point of view, it forces the scout to figure out how to get a key to someone when he can't make it. Our QM is also responsible for working with the driver of the tow vehicle for hitching up the trailer properly.

I would respond with "Sounds good, lets go with it".

Barry

If he wants to go to that trouble I would say let him. However most of what our troop considers valuable is not in the trailer at a campout. We value our tents, patrol cooking gear, propane tanks, and our fund raised 10X20 canopy for those campgrounds which do not offer pavilions. All of that stuff is scattered around the campsite and the trailer is secure storage for tomorrow's food that may attract varmints, specialty personal gear and as general more weatherproof than tent storage for days like this AM when two of our tents were skipping across the campsite courtesy of Gustav(Note we were in the process of taking them down so they had been unstaked).

Have your QM present this idea to the PLC and see where it goes.

If a QM approached me with this idea I think I would guide him in the direction of something more patrol oriented like others said above. Something where the Patrols select there gear before the campout and put it in their section of the trailer. Then the QM and AQM don't have to hang around the trailer waiting for some Scout to come and check out some piece of equipment instead of having fun with the rest of the troop.

>>If a QM approached me with this idea I think I would guide him in the direction of something more patrol oriented like others said above. Something where the Patrols select there gear before the campout and put it in their section of the trailer. Then the QM and AQM don't have to hang around the trailer waiting for some Scout to come and check out some piece of equipment instead of having fun with the rest of the troop..

What has been done Quartermastering in the past? Why do you think the new QM wants to use this method? If the Quartermaster has never addressed the PLC on anything, why should he now? Does this draw an implied message that the scoutmaster doesnt like this idea, thats why it went to the PLC so they can deny it and move on?

Have the Quartermaster explain the system at a scout meeting and then see how he lives with the results. Who knows, it may work or it may not, either way, its his choice and experience.

I applaude your guy's initative. I have no idea what's going to work for your troop, but I can tell you what we're trying.

Any QM we've had has suggested the same system yours is proposing. After cleaning the store room only to have it wrecked by someone rooting around looking for something, everyone scrambles for the padlocks and clipboards. The problem we found is that with a check out system like that is that the QM must be present 100% of the time for it to work.

Over the past six months we've gone to a new system which we distinguish between patrol and troop gear and permanently assign patrol gear to the patrols.

Before everything was kept together as troop gear. Patrols would check out gear from the troop QM before each campout. We had patrol tubs for each patrol, but they generally included only misc. cooking gear. Tents, stoves, lanterns, etc., was troop gear and checked out for each camp out. The big problem was lack of accountability. Break a tent pole? No problem. Chances are someone else would get stuck with that tent next time. Space was also a problem in that it was difficult to access a particular item without unpacking everything. Another issue was lack of security. If you couldn't find what you needed, it was easy to "borrow" it from another patrol tub.

Over the past six months we've had a major capital program and have replaced much of the troop's camping gear (that was a separate issue from the checkout/inventory system). We bought enough stuff for every patrol to have everything they need -- tents, stoves, lanterns, cook gear, etc. All that stuff is permanently assigned to the patrols. It is the responsibility of the PATROL and the patrol QM to keep up with the stuff. The Troop QM inventories the patrol gear every six months (at PL election time). Broken or missing gear is billed to everyone in the patrol.

We also built locking cabinets for each patrol. Keys to the lockers are controlled by the troop QM and his adult advisor. If something is lost or broken, the patrol is 100% accountable.

One of the big advantages of this is that it is a HUGE boost to the patrol method.

The troop QM still has plenty to do. His number one task is to work with the patrol QMs to make sure they are keeping up with their patrol stuff. He also has responsibility for the remaining troop gear which now consists of one-off camping stuff -- like Dutch ovens -- which the patrols can check out as needed and program material like rope, first aid training materials, pioneering stuff and the like. He still maintains checkout sheets for this. He is also responsible for buying, stocking and distributing consumable supplies like paper products, cleaning supplies and the like.

How's it working? Too early to tell. We've only recently put all the parts together. The past six months we've had a very weak QM. I'm hoping that with a stronger QM and everything in place, we'll make a go of it this fall. I'll let you know.

Two things made this possible for us which may not be possible for other troops: 1) we had the money to go out and buy new gear and outfit every patrol identically. We could have made do with the old stuff, but assigning stuff to the patrols is fairly inefficient. We have to have four tents for every patrol where as before we only had enough tents to cover the average number of Scouts attending a campout. The second issue was having the space to build the new lockers. To me the key to this system is making the patrols accountable and the key to that is having a secure place to store their gear.

The plan was put together by the QM, SPL and the SM. It gets run by the PLC tomorrow.

Part of the problem is that the worst offenders on "trashing" the are the adults and Patrol leaders.

I did mention the idea of patrol items besides patrol boxes and it seems to have gone over well. the only exception is tents since there are times when we have to blend patrols.

I'm thinking this will work.

cheffy,

Our Troop Trailer is our store room (CO had no facility it could give us). Years ago our QM with a little guidance started an on going computer generated inventory system and laid out the trailer...(everything has a place and everything is in its place), complete with diagrams on the walls showing "what goes where".

Our troop has a great deal of equipment from tents, tarps a sail boat and canoes to patrol boxes, small tables, lanterns, first aid kits and high adventure/back packing stoves.

For Patrol activities each patrol checks out what it will need (written form)on the Monday before their event. Check out form has who is checking it out, Gear name, starting Condition and returned condition that is counter-signed by the patrol QM or PL. All gear is inspected upon return jointly by the Troop QM and the returning Patrol QM or PL.

On troop events/activities, when the trailer is hauled to the venue the QM checks gear directly out of the trailer and each patrol QM/PL turns it in after the event. If the event is in messy weather the patrol assigns scouts to take home and dry out/clean tents and tarps to be returned at the next meeting. During the event the trailer is locked and only the QM and adult leader (SM or ASM assigned for the event have keys -as do the CC and myself-the QM mentor) All gear needed after inital check out must go through the QM (at his convenience-depending on his schedule). If the QM can not make an encampment the ASPL usually gets the assignment. (and lord help the guys who return the trailer "messed up")

Our troop QMs work very hard, really earning their POR credit and about half of them end up as Troop SPL before they finish with scouting (as youths).

Twice a year we dedicate a day to pulling everthing out, set up all tarps and tents...do basic cleaning and repairing as needed and replace what needs to be replaced...seal seams etc. It is usually done by the troop "green bars", QM, SPL,ASPL, PLs, patrol QMs and a few other volunteers with a handful of adults, several pizzas and drinks. Takes about half a Saturday...We have tents that are getting 20-30 nights use per year that are 8 years old and still going strong thanks to good care and a troop ethic of respecting "borrowed" equipment.

when the next QM steps into the job, he has a printout of all the gear, it's age and condition as well as a historical record of who used what recently.

good luck to your enterprising QM.

anarchist

anarchist,

You situation and set up sound very simular to ours. Our past QM did an OK job and there was some breakdown in the transition. the new QM is very gung ho and so is our new SPL. I do think the new mind set for the rest of the Troop to follow will take some time but I think it will be a change for the better. The QM goes tothe PLC tonight and then will present the new procedure to the committee since seveal committee members think the trailer is theirs to borrow from. That stops today!