Here is my question Do I take the hard line stance and make our PLC stick to their plans or should I be flexible and let them take the easy way?

Now as Paul Harvey would say, time for the rest of the story

Our unit elections were in early July and so we basically have a new PLC in place as the only remaining member is our SPL who is serving in his second term. Since the elections we have had a troop JLT session, a yearly planning conference where they put together a great yearly calendar of events for the troop. They really did a fabulous job on this and I am really proud of them.

The calendar has been presented to the Troop committee by the SPL and approved and has already been distributed to the Troop members and their families, posted on our Website, etc.

The question comes from the fact that my SPL has asked me to change location of the troop camp-out in a couple of weeks to a different location which is basically the standard place for the Troop to camp over the years. I know since I joined the troop less then a year ago we have been there 6 times and no where else. This place is great so dont get me wrong but it is also the closest and easiest option.

I feel like the decision is being made based on the fact that it comfortable for them and they tend to lean towards the easy way.

Let me know what you think is the best course of action I should take if any.

Tough call, awesome1.

I think yeh have to trust your instincts. If your instincts are tellin' you that this is the boys fallin' back on an "easy way" rather than pushin' themselves, then I think you push back. Boys are a conservative lot, often gettin' into "ruts" rather than bein' adventurous, especially during their first shots at leadership. A lot of that is fear of the unknown, eh... and worry they won't be successful. They often need some bucking up, or some experience with being "forced" into a new challenge so that they discover they can do it.

One way of pushin' back is to make it hard work for them to change:

"Nope, sorry, I've got all the adults lined up and committed to the plan you gave us, too late to change."

"Well, Joey, we've already told all the adults and troop families about your plan. To change now is really hard. Are you prepared to call everyone up and apologize to them for making a late change, when they were looking forward to something new?"

"Well, it's your guys' call, but a change in the approved calendar requires troop committee approval. So you need to call Mr. CC, ask for a special committee meeting, and come make a presentation about why you feel a change is important."

Whatever approach you choose, I think da big message is "Trust your instincts."

Beavah

"Here is my question Do I take the hard line stance and make our PLC stick to their plans or should I be flexible and let them take the easy way? "

Be flexible, if the SPL is representing the wishes of the PLC. As a cubscout by son camped at this one council camp 2-3 times a year, plus he went to day camps there, plus we had PWD out there. He was/is in love with that place. It was comfortable, relaxing, he could map out the trails in his head. Knew how long it would take to get from one area to another. It was like a second home.

Just because they have gone there a lot does not mean that it should be banned. There is a ceratin amount of relaxation that can only occur in a place where you feel comfortable.

Every campout? No! More than you would like? Yes!

Remeber growing up, going into high school, learning how to kiss a girl, learning how to drive a car, there are so many unknowns in these kids lives that a weekend campout at a place where they can relax is exactly what they need.

Beavah, solid advice as allows!! You are correct that this is a "historical" behavior that has hung over the troop for a long time. They have a history of changing things last minute, canceling events, doing the same things over and over, etc...

While I am not opposed as SM to doing the same things over and over I have been trying to lead them (the PLC) in the direction of trying new things that they want to do and expanding their program to make it more fun for everyone.

It's me - As stated above, I have no problem if they want to camp there every month. It sure will get old very quickly for the Scouts but its their choice to make. My question is not so much about where they go but rather should I hold them to "their" choices. They (PLC) put this calendar together, not me. Do we hold them responsible for their commitments or do we let them slide because they changed their minds even though money has been spent, arrangements made, etc.?

Dan - Actually you asked the million dollar question that makes this question somewhat "null and void". After speaking with my SPL this morning, he has clarified several points for me.

First - They have not requested a change of location as the PLC has not yet meet to discuss this issue.

Second- The reason he brought up changing the location was because after doing some research on the location we going to he found out that they are currently having flooding problems and he was trying to convey to me that he wanted to have the other location as a back-up plan in case the primary did not work out.

I guess the real issue here is more of a communications failure on my part. That said, I fully support and applaud the SPL for his foresight on this.

SPL - 1 SM - 0 (if we were keeping score)

Note to self (listen more, talk less and stay out the way)

Thanks to everyone on the forum, you all do a great service for Scouting.

(This message has been edited by awesome1_in_cc)

As a scoutmaster working on getting the troop to scout led, having the troop going back to known locations is not always a bad thing even when doing so at short notice.

When the PLC has requested this I have asked them what the program or theme of the o'nite will be. If it is the same ol thing, I try to challenge them to come with something new for the theme and stretch themselves in scouting skills. Some times it takes something like " I will probably do tarp camping and utinsiless cooking, you guys think you are up to that?" Amazing how often they will rise to the challenge and try to take the 'ol man' down. ;)

Gotta love it!

yis