Hi diannasav,

Somewhere in the archives I think you'll find a long thread about appointing PL's vs. electing PL's. Baden Powell and most traditional scouting used appointed PL's, selecting boys who were the natural leaders. The BSA system departed from the founder and places a greater emphasis on democratic election.

What your troop chooses to do is up to the SM. There are good arguments either way. A lot of troops do a hybrid system, where the SM approves candidates (based on rank, behavior, etc.), then the boys elect from the candidates.

Real patrol method, though, doesn't really have much to do with how the PL is selected. It has more to do with how the patrol operates independently under the direction of the PL. Sometimes, appointing a PL may allow for better patrol method, because the SM can then trust the PL with greater independence. Sometimes not, because the patrol doesn't feel it has control over its team leadership.

Yah, so the answer is "it depends". I wouldn't be too hard on your SM if they opt to handle things this way.

Beavah

(This message has been edited by Beavah)

The Patrol Method is the only way to run a Troop

All BSA literature says the boys are to elect their leaders, PL and SPL.

Now, in practice, maybe a few things would happen that makes this impractical. A brand new troop of 20 or so youth may have a hard time electing someone as they dont know each other, so perhaps an Ad Hoc appointment is the best way to get started. I am sure there are other times people smarter than I can come up with.

Generally speaking however, the boys should be doing the electing. Is there something else you can tell us about this practice?